Renewed Chests?

Started by
21 comments, last by Wavinator 14 years ago
Hey all, I'll be quick this time :P So I'm working on this RPG, and I'm trifling with the idea of having every chest in the dungeons randomly fill with new stuff everytime you enter. The idea is to keep people drawn to entering dungeons and find new stuff. The downside and risk is player turning out to 'farm/loot' the dungeon, which would be grinding in a very bad sort of way. So I was wondering what are the Pros/Cons you see to this mechanics, and whether you'd personally choose to do it or not, and why. Thanks :)
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Advertisement
Sounds ok as long as you renew all the monsters in the dungeons as well of course ;)
You should try to balance it so that a certain percentage of the treasure found will be used to cover the cost of the adventure into the dungeon (E.g. weapon/armour repairs, healing, replacing scrolls, etc...) and a certain percentage is 'profit'
You might want to also consider having less valuable items found in chests closer to the entrance.
Quote:Original post by WavyVirus
You might want to also consider having less valuable items found in chests closer to the entrance.

Ya I was considering such a system, or making it so that levels dont have chests too slow to entries.
I also thought about using two types of chests, ones who regen, others who dont.

@Hodgman, pretty brilliant idea there, simple but balance-effective. Consumables sound like a solution there.
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Sounds like a good plan for not making the game linear. If you also level up both the loot and the monsters with the player then you'll give people reason to come back. Of course, some chests will contain quest items or unique equipment which you will not want to respawn, and there might be sufficiently high-level monsters guarding those unique chests :).

I wouldn't worry about grinding too much. If people are investing time to grind in your RPG, you are obviously doing something right :D
You've pretty much described Diablo 2. All the dungeons refill and randomly generate their layout every time you start a server. People tend to do 'runs' to keep getting loot and leveling, and end up getting through the game's story by accident. :D
Sometimes there are runs just to get the required items to open up passages to do other dungeon runs.
well the cool fact is its a jRPG actually, and, well the level won't change. Just the chests getting new stuff.

I'm not too sure about leveling up the monsters though, unless there is clearly a quest element, later, that brings the player there...

I have a blog!
One idea I'd like to mention is that you could selectively respawn chests. If your game has consumables, especially if they're such that players practically *must* use consumables (ie you'll never make it through a dungeon without a bunch of potions), you could make those not respawn, and only make shiny swords/weapons/armor/equipment chests respawn (so there's actually less loot on subsequent runs) and the player will have to pay the cost of maintenance(potions).

Also, if there are some super-rare or unique things that are manually placed, I'd make those not respawn.
Like Dekasa said, try limiting the chests after each run. Perhaps the first run the treasure value is at 100%, the second at 90%, and so on. This way they can grind their way through it, gaining loot, but it lessens what they can receive, eventually capping the grinding for that area.
It might confuse players if a dungeon has good loot, but each subsequent run has less loot. I think most players would either assume a dungeon's loot doesn't respawn, or it does respawn, but wouldn't expect it to get less after each raid. They'd then probably complain to themselves that they are 'unlucky' and getting sucky loot - They wouldn't know why they are getting sucky loot, and so would assume it's just chance, and keep trying, but each time they try, the loot is getting worse.

I think dungeon loot should be tied to player level, or dungeon level. Not based off of time.

I think the chests shouldn't be instantly refilled, but should be refilled bit by bit as time goes on. Instead of all the chests refilling when you re-enter a dungeon, only 10% of the chests get refilled every, say, 10 minutes your away from the dungeon (to discourage immiediant raiding of the same dungeon, preventing repetitive gameplay, but allowing the player to return later at liesure, or raid a different dungeon in the meantime).

Or, have the value of the items in the dungeon decrease, like Dragonsoulj said, but have it decrease not by having worse loot, but by having less loot (unless I misunderstood what he was saying, in which case, I agree completely [smile]). So the first time you loot a dungeon, have 100% of the chests present. The next time, 90% of the chests present (different items, ofcourse), then 80%, and so on... Stopping at like 25% (and possibly going back up slowly, after each hour of gameplay elsewhere in the world).

I think players will understand 'farming out' a dungeon (Since each time they go through the dungeon, they visually/physically find less), but unless the knowledge that dungeon loot decreases in value is presented to the player, they'll probably just think they are victims of chance, and get irritated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement