The whole Isometric Thing

Started by
10 comments, last by Noky 22 years, 8 months ago
Alright, first of all, I''m a totally newbie to the whole Game Programming thing. I haven''t finished learning C++ so please don''t flame me for my stupidity. I''d like to know what excatly is Isometric Thing. Is it like a perspective for the 2D world that makes things look 3D-ish. I don''t know if anyone has played this game but I''m thinking Isometric Perspective (I''m guessing what this is all about) is how the game Legend of Mana for the Playstation looks. It''s 2D but it has a 3D kinda feel to it. Another game kinda like that is TMNT: Turtles in Time for the SNES. Tell me if I''m wrong or what I just wanna know. Becuase I''m looking into making a side-scrolling game using a perspective like Legend of Mana.
Advertisement
I''ve never played either of those games, but I think you have the right idea. You''re kinda looking down from an angle.
Both those games are straight 2D. Isometric is kind of like titled on an angle so you can see more than just side of the image. Like Final Fantasy tactics, where you can see one side of a house, and also half of the other side or something like that. It''s more like 2.5D

In other terms, isometric is viewing something without the foreshortening, if that makes sense.

------------
- outRider -
An isometric view is like in diablo or the earlier X-com series of games. TMNT is just kinda a side scroller that let''s you walk side to side.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,197113-246,00.html <-here''s the address for a screenshot of Diablo II. That''s an isometric view

Use the WriteCoolGame() function
Works every time
Use the WriteCoolGame() functionWorks every time
Hmm... I can''t remember Secret of Mana very well... hang on... (firing up ZSNES...)
Umm... No, I don''t think you would say SoM is isometric.

Isometric usually refers to tiles that are being show at an angle other than 90, such as games like simcity 3000.

The most common is 45 degree angle, so that the tiles are actually diamond shaped, although techincally anything that is not square is isometric.

Isometric tiling has the effect of usually making a game look less 2d than square tiling, although it is slightly harder to impliment.

SoM, Secret of Evermore, and all the final fantasies prior to 7 are good examples of square tiles. Hmm... thats odd.. all the examples I thought of were made by squarsoft...

For Isometric... Super Mario RPG for SNES was isometric. LOL, an incidentally, square was in on that one too...

Does that answer your question?

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
quote:Original post by outRider
It''s more like 2.5D
------------
- outRider -

Umm.. carefull.. Actaully, 2.5D is used to describe games like Doom and Duke Nukem. Isometric games are not 2.5D, and 2.5D games are not Isometric.

Man, you guys type faster than me

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
Isometric:

Semi-Isometric:

Standard 2D:

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

Thanks those visual pictures really helped me out. And that reference to Final Fantasy Tactics. I guess I''ll be using that standard 2-d and then move onto the Isometric version after I''ve developed my skills. That is if I ever finish this tiny Teach Yourself C++ book.
Diablo (and D2) is the perfect example of an isometric game. And lets not get started on 2.5D. hehe
--Lowell N. Mannerslowell@makevideogames.comMakeVideoGames.com
Is it just me who always thought that the Ultima Online angle was Way too steep?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement