A little ticky switcher prog upgrade

Started by
3 comments, last by Swampfox 14 years ago
Hey We are pulling together community developed stuff for a 12 yr old flight sim. One of our little band ("V") who is a smart guy but not a C++ programmer (non of us are) developed a file/folder switcher console. As it stands, the user would have to select available file choices at each startup because the prog has no memory nor does it automagically ID the last selection(s). V says a programmer who knows the language could build in the start-up search-check for in-place files in the game, in probably under half an hour because its 101 for you guys. We are poor but we can pay something reasonable for help. Thanks Swampfox
Advertisement
Two questions that really need answers:
1. What flight sim are we talking about?
2. More importantly, is the source code for this flight sim available somewhere? Without source code, nothing is "101".

Globals are not evil. Singletons are evil.
Hi Indigo

Thanks for your response and questions. I hope the following helps.

The sim is RedBaron3D
The code is not available

The files and folders are fully accessible by the client. We have been using aftermarket custom flight and damage model files, custom terrains, terrain tile custom paints, sounds, etc. for years. As long as the files have the right endings and are in the right place, and are properly edited, everything works well.

Often stock files or entire folders are “parked” by changing the name, or they can be replaced by cut and paste. Most RBers keep multiple installs. There are aftermarket file swapper programs, but we need our own for this project.

The tree goes:

main RB3D folder (nothing is changed there except in our original custom install)

DATA – in which 2, or 3 custom files would be swapped
MULTI – under DATA, this folder contains all other files. We would likely want to swamp/paste whole folders, unless that presented a problem.

Swapping is really cutting and pasting from “folders in the wings” which would come with our patch.

V has his program to where the client can come and make a new selection, but the existing selection is not shown. All target files are accessible outside of the code.

There are a couple of aftermarket file swap programs for RB3D, but we need our own for our project.

Looking at the current file swapper construct and the RB3D install would likely secure a quick answer, regardless of the complexity and time involved in the solution.

We also are decompiling some older compiled vol files, one which has a DTD-causing glitch. Decompiling works well - recompiling, not so much.

If we get past these things, we have a custom security strategy that will take some C++ expertise - again, a non-code solution concept.

Salute!

Swampfox
Why C++? Do you already have the source code for a C++ program that does some of this, but you need it altered?
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Hey Krez

I am a little embarrassed in that I can't say how my partner V did it, but he said he took what he had done and a buddie at his university was able to apply a high level of programming talent to bring in the interface smoothing functions, which I assumed required C++ talent...and maybe it did because I didn't get yet what the buddie's training is specifically. He got two of the four functions done, and probably will finish the other two this weekend.

Thanks for the interest.

Now, to start another thread about recompiling decompiled and edited vol files!
Swampfox

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement