Sign in to follow this  
Foufs

SDL & Scaling?

Foufs    140
Hey guys, I am currently working on a side scrolling game and I eventually want to add resolution changing and what not.... I know you can scale with SDL_gfx but is that the only way? What should I do?

Kylotan    10010
It's best to go with an OpenGL-based renderer if you really need scaling (or rotation, or lots of alpha). (Or DirectX based if you only care about Windows.) SDL is designed for old-style 2D games typically to be run in a single resolution.

Lightness1024    933
Its true but opengl suffers from support problem from the vendors. in general as long as you keep it to simple window, simple thread, very low poly VBO, it doesn't crash. But if you start using too many things, first it doesn't behave the same at all on every cards (try shadow mapping on firegls you get surprises, or readpixel in unsigned byte on ATI, or resize your window and read the z buffer, that's funny too...)
even if you do things within your rights, sometimes... boum ! just because of the drivers. (i happened to see crashes in picking operations just because they were in another context, supposed to be separeted.. hum hum... this never works, always keep it to only one context ! my suggestion du jour.)
and I'm not talking about all the sadness of making it run properly on linux. Intel is doing a good job (on the contrary to the windows and apple side), nvidia... let's say fairly good, but Ati ....

I'm very much for a unified free 3d acceleration API, if this didn't exists, maybe we would never have had acceleration on linux. I'm just saying vendors rarely do a good job with their drivers. (except from nVidia that are doing fairly properly)
and of course there is all of this:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

In the end, I agree, opengl will give the best quality and the least expensives rotozooms.
and for that exists: http://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php