Sign in to follow this  
Meai

Direct3D warp10

Meai    161
Hi, I read through the article at msdn, but im still unsure what warp10 really replaces. (presumably everything, since it's a software renderer). Could I theoretically program a directx11 application with full blown shaders, and run it on a win7series phone? Since that does not support shaders at all! I realize that this would be super slow, but I could use this just as...let's call it "upwards compatibility". I rather like programming with the shader pipeline, and if that ever gets supported on the phone, I just need to flip a switch. For VERY basic 3d applications, the warp reference device should still handle be able to bring realtime performance right? After all, those phones have a min. requirement of a single core 1ghz processor. Would you advise to do that? Has anyone experience with running warp on such low end hardware?

MJP    19786
WARP10 is a full D3D10.1 device implemented in software, and full supports the entire feature set. You can basically think of it as a much faster version of the REF device. Any decent GPU will still blow it away, but it can be good for situations where you don't need realtime performance or where you want to use D3D from a service. I'd recommend that you read through this.

You can't use WARP10 on winphone7 because it only exists for PC...it's just a pre-compiled DLL like any other part of Direct3D.