I want to one day get started using Directx, can it be done?

Started by
4 comments, last by Stani R 14 years ago
In my college, next semester, i am going to be using c++ extensively. I am very fluent in Java and C# and want to make the switch to c++ because we will be using it. I found for 8 dollars a book on ANSI C++ by Ivor Horton(The book is from 2004) and i wanted to get started. My ultimate goal is one day to use directx and shaders despite that my club is doing flash. I understand that many on the forums do not recommend c++ or directx but i do want to at least try it. I understand recursion, gui in C# and java, all of the basics and some other advanced topics in java, and i have used xna with c# for a bit. I know this still makes me a beginner in the grand scheme of things but i just want to preface that i am not knew to the ideas of programming. One day i hope to work with directx and other graphics. Is it possible for me to jump in to the directx game eventually? I have a directx 10 card, is it worth investing time looking up the new things with directx 10 and its future counterparts? Thanks a lot
Advertisement
Nothing wrong with learning C++. It's just not a good beginner language.

If you used XNA, you were already using Direct3D. You can also use SlimDX which will allow you to access DirectX from C# if you feel more comfortable with that.
Quote:Is it possible for me to jump in to the directx game eventually?
I don't know, but if you are capable of gaining enough competence with C# and Java, it's a good bet you have the aptitude to learn some of the DirectX libraries and use them eventually.

That's however an obvious answer. "Can you do something" gets you a "I don't know you but I'm betting if you put in the time you can". That's not really what you want to ask.

Quote:is it worth investing time
This is what you want to know. You want someone to assure you are making the right decisions. That your investments are correct.

Sorry, we can't answer that question for you. Only you can determine what "worth" is. This is not a technical question. It's a decision making issue. If you have queries about one of the DirectX libraries or about other libraries, we can answer that. If you have any specific concerns, that we can address. But a generic "worth it" question, no.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was trying to ask if it was beneficial to learn the newer directx stuff over the older ones because more and more people are adopting windows 7(Then again this is an opinion). I was just curious if there was as much resource on the newer topics and i was also curious on why there are less topics on it then direct x 9.

Thank you
Quote:Original post by robertosaget
Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was trying to ask if it was beneficial to learn the newer directx stuff over the older ones because more and more people are adopting windows 7(Then again this is an opinion). I was just curious if there was as much resource on the newer topics and i was also curious on why there are less topics on it then direct x 9.

It's impossible to say without knowing what it is you wish to achieve. Learning to use DirectX is not really a goal, so much as a means to a bigger goal, and without knowing what the goal is, it's very hard to say whether it's beneficial or not.

For example, if your goal is to get a job as an engine programmer, working for Crytek, learning the newer DirectX stuff seems like it will be very useful. If your goal is to make a 3D tetris game by yourself, not so much.

Quote:Original post by robertosaget
i was trying to ask if it was beneficial to learn the newer directx stuff over the older ones

Learning something new never hurts you. How much benefit you get out of it in the end depends on how much time you invest and what you want to do with that technology. Also, perhaps something to consider: if you plan to make a game of some complexity, chances are that by the time you're done, Windows 7 will be yesterday's platform and everyone will be using DirectX 15. There are of course cool new things you can do with new API's, but perhaps the API is less important than the game itself. If you are a good programmer, you should be able to pick up the basics of any API within a few hours/days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement