Building a 2D platformer engine

Started by
1 comment, last by Lightness1024 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm new to game design (not new to programming though) and wanted to start with a platformer. I have what I think is a good concept, with a strong back-story and some game-play mechanisms already thought of. So I'm at the point where I begin to think about how to make this happen from a technical point of view. What I want is a game engine which can handle things like graphical elements with some properties (position, rotation, depth or weight, ...), player movement (jumping, moving, ...), user input, triggers (what happens when some action is done ...) etc. I'd prefer to code the engine myself as I like to feel familiar with what I use and be able to modify anything whenever I want to. So, do you know about any books/tutorials that deal with 2D platformer engines in a specific way ? (there are a lot of books about 2D generic engines but I want to learn about platformer games in particular).
Advertisement
Maybe start off with something like Allegro or SDL and make a small basic engine yourself. I started with Allegro a few years back and still use it today. It takes care of setting up a window for you on both windows and linux. It also provides an easy way to manipulate images. It's a great place to start IMO. You can also pick up the book Allegro All in One. It has been a year or so since I read it, but I remember it being pretty helpful.
-- Can you show me how to c++?beersbr@gmail.com : gmailbeer4273@vandals.uidaho.edu : msn
well I think my platform game demo should be perfectly indicated for your inspiration:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/carnage-engine/

it should be enough commented for anybody to use as a documentation :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement