Sign in to follow this  
SteveDeFacto

[web] How to execute an server side PHP script from javascript?

I have a javascript function that needs to call a php script on the server to delete a database table without redirecting the page. I need to call the delete script in a for next loop then when it's done I need to refresh the page. Basically I have a list of check boxes that it needs to iterate through and delete each message that is checked. Something like this:
function Delete(chk)
{
  for (i = 0; i < chk.length; i++)
  {
    if( chk[i].checked )
    {
      ExecuteServerSideScript("delete_message.php?message=" + i);
    }
  }
  window.location.reload()
}

Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Have you looked into using Ajax? There are some rather nice javascript libraries that make it easier, e.g. Prototype. You could also consider making just one request with a list of identifiers rather than N requests.

I personally use jQuery for that... however this is exactly what you need: Prototype or jQuery's Ajax modules. You can write it yourself, however that is a pointless waste of time, especially considering all of the cross platform/cross browser/cross version crap you have to put up with to even get your Ajax calls working right.

I use jQuery too. Highly recommended. Doing what you want can be done in like 5 lines of code, max.

/* include jquery JS in header */

$.post(
'server_file.php',
{ var1: 'value', var2: 'value2' /* etc */ },
function( event ) { /* custom callback, optional */ }
);

Boom, yer done.

Quote:
...I have a javascript function that needs to call a php script on the server to delete a database table without redirecting the page...

Delete a whole table? That's the part that worries me. I smell bad DB design or bad word choice, one of the two.