Hello, I am New here

Started by
0 comments, last by Ashaman73 14 years ago
I just recently signed up here and I was wondering if someone could help me. I have been programming for a couple of years. Mostly with a fairly unused language called Basic4GL. I have used C++ for about six months although I'm not that good with C++. I have tried the following irrlicht, sdl and OpenGL. I don't really like them that much but if I have to use them I will if it means making games and other software. Now for me what is the best choice for making games and I would like them to be a mixture of both 2D and 3D(and I only want to learn one so I don't get confused when using them)? A) C++ and SDL B) C++ and OpenGL C) C++ and a engine like irrlicht D) C++ and DirectX E) Other I would like some help with this so that I can get on in game development. Also just for the information I am terribly crap with making graphics and models. I am planning on creating a game engine using one of these. The game engine will be for RPG style games and will most likely be 2D and graphics will be free graphics I find on the internet that are royalty free. If you could help me out I will be gratefull Thanks for your help Wayne Rayner [Edited by - sedativelife on March 19, 2010 6:14:20 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sedativelife
Now for me what is the best choice for making games and I would like them to be a mixture of both 2D and 3D(and I only want to learn one so I don't get confused when using them)?
A) C++ and SDL
B) C++ and OpenGL
C) C++ and a engine like irrlicht
D) C++ and DirectX
E) Other

Well, SDL is media library to enable simple access to common functions like creating windows, accessing the keyboard/mouse, displaying 2d graphics etc. Many engines and game projects integrate this library.

OpenGL and DirectX are 3D render APIs. It is possible to write up your own rendering engine using this APIs, but I would suggest to use a (free) existing rendering engine like irrlicht, ogre3d or udk (=unreal development kit, not entirly free).

Quote:
I am planning on creating a game engine using one of these. The game engine will be for RPG style games and will most likely be 2D and graphics will be free graphics I find on the internet that are royalty free.

I'm not sure about existing 2D engines, but if you want to start with 2D only, give SDL a try.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement