• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stakon

[DirectX9 C++] - D3DXVec3Normalize returns inaccurate results

This topic is 3018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good day, I have found that by using D3DXVec3Normalize() an inaccurate result is returned. Theoretically a normalized vector pointing in the +y direction should be (0.0,1.0,0.0) However sometimes D3DXVec3Normalize() returns (0.0,0.99999994,0.0) This definitely isn't a normalized vector although the error is very small. Unfortunately this also leads to further errors, like comparing 2 vectors etc. Is there a way to get around this? Is there any better function than D3DXVec3Normalize which i can use? Thanx in advance, stakon

Advertisement
That's a margin of error of 0.000006%, which is more than adequate for floating point values...

You can't directly compare floating point values anyway due to the way they work, I really wish operator== would give a warning. If you're comparing two floating point values, you should use an epsilon value anyway, e.g. instead of:
if(x == 1.0f)
Use:
static const float EPSILON = 0.00001f;
if(x > 1.0f-EPSILON && x < 1.0f+EPSILON)

Thanx!

Such a warning would be useful indeed.

I think i'll use a slight variation of your method:

static const float EPSILON = 0.00001f;
float a,b; //floats to compare

if(abs(a - b) <EPSILON)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!