Help with setting initial variables

Started by
9 comments, last by quddusaliquddus 14 years ago
Hi :), I am trying to implement the code here: Java World: Fractal Landscape in VB.Net. My code: My Code Ive set the initial roughness = 0.95 and initial LOD = 10 At each level of the diamond-square algorithm the roughness is recalculated to rough=roug*roughness But the result looks nothing like a landscape. It has little pertubations throughout but no macroscopic features. Zoomed out image: How can I fix it so that the code creates landscapes with hills and plataus? Thank you for your help. [Edited by - quddusaliquddus on March 20, 2010 9:09:53 AM]
Advertisement
Anyone?

Bump
Quote:Anyone?
GDNet doesn't currently support BBCode, so you might edit your post to use HTML instead. (Yeah, I know it's lazy, but a lot of people - myself included - will often skip over posts with incorrect formatting and un-clickable links.)
Thanks for the heads up. I will look into HTML codes and update.
Are we allowed to bump threads?
You need to add some lower-frequency data to the map in order to create "bigger" features.

Read up on "Perlin noise", that will give you ideas on how to proceed.

Plateaus are usually simulated by a response curve that flattens to horizontal on the topmost values. In reality, plateaus and ridges are formed by corrosion caused by water and wind as well as the irregular composition of the ground material itself, so for realistic results you might want to simulate that (at least statistically).

Niko Suni

Try to set the initial roughness to 0.5 or something like that.

Niko Suni

Hi. Thanks for the help. I tried setting different values from 0.1 to .9 (the value has to be greater than 0 and less than 1) without success
Could the values be getting overwritten as diffreent levels of diamond sqaure algorithm are being run?
They dont seem to be. Just checked the values.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement