Sci Fi Greek Mythology

Started by
7 comments, last by RivieraKid 14 years ago
I just finished reading the Percy Jackson series, where the main idea was greek mythology in the present: Hades in LA, Mount Olympus is on top of the Empire State Building etc. (oh and the minotaur wears fruit of the loom) But this gave me the idea of Greek Mythology turning out to be from races of aliens visiting Earth, and the Ancient Greeks, were actually another race of humanoids that mated with humans, turning us from the Neanderthals into much more developed humans. (There actually is an as yet unexplained jump in evolution.) Well, just an idea, and I don't think it's been done before. Tell me what you think, Thanks Peter
Advertisement
>ULYSSEE-EEE-EEE-EEE-EEES!

Sorry. Had to be done [grin]
Quote:Original post by Sandman

Hahahaha! Jeeeeze, there's some memories. And why exactly did the gods transform his crew into floating corpses????? Never did figure that out, and by the time I got into it it was cancelled except for the Spanish language version on another channel.

Quote:Original post by galasteno
But this gave me the idea of Greek Mythology turning out to be from races of aliens visiting Earth, and the Ancient Greeks, were actually another race of humanoids that mated with humans, turning us from the Neanderthals into much more developed humans. (There actually is an as yet unexplained jump in evolution.)

Well, just an idea, and I don't think it's been done before.

You've got a setting but not a design as far as I can tell. Given this background, what gameplay would the player undertake that would make the background signficant, as opposed to tacked on?

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
What do you mean by gameplay?

If you mean game type, it could be anything really,
Although I was thinking 3rd Person Shooter

If you meant how is the player going to be interacting with the world: you would have weapons, items, enhancements etc. to buy or pick up, although I want to avoid a pure xp system. The Game would start on Earth at the time of their first inter system ship launch, and would progress from there, so you would be playing on ships and planets that either take the form of newly developing human worlds or ridiculously advanced alien worlds. The world your on would also affect what you can do (grav-lifts on alien worlds but not at humans for example), and if you openly use alien technology in a human world, the people around you could act in different ways (wonder, skepticism, contact the government, common religious attitudes)

I hope this is what you meant, if not please explain so I can get it right.
Thanks
Peter

Oh, and this isn't an MMO, it's just a campaign idea. (You can't make an MMO I know, don't say it) ;)
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
Quote:Original post by Sandman

Hahahaha! Jeeeeze, there's some memories. And why exactly did the gods transform his crew into floating corpses????? Never did figure that out, and by the time I got into it it was cancelled except for the Spanish language version on another channel.

[Geek]Ulysses 31 was technically a French show.[/Geek]
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~torgerk/ulysses31/

The Gods punished the crew by making them sleep like the opening says.
Ulysses was fixing the power core and the kids were unconscious when it happened.

There was a PNP RPG that had a similar idea with Vikings.
The aliens would take best warriors and give them enhancements.
Quote:
But this gave me the idea of Greek Mythology turning out to be from races of aliens visiting Earth, and the Ancient Greeks, were actually another race of humanoids that mated with humans, turning us from the Neanderthals into much more developed humans.

Technically, I don't think Neanderthals were human ancestors, but rather a divergent species that branched from a common ancestor and then became extinct.
It's been done before, and it's sweet. One of my favorites has always been Mutineer's Moon, a David Webber book where humans are aliens that populated Earth when their spaceship was disabled by a mutiny, and the spaceship was the moon, and some crew members had kickass implants and cybernetics that let them live forever and influence human history so they could develop enough technology to take the ship back. Totally rad.

My buddy was telling me about a book or series of books where about a dozen immortal vampires are every major historical figure ever.
Quote:Original post by galasteno
I just finished reading the Percy Jackson series, where the main idea was greek mythology in the present: Hades in LA, Mount Olympus is on top of the Empire State Building etc. (oh and the minotaur wears fruit of the loom)

But this gave me the idea of Greek Mythology turning out to be from races of aliens visiting Earth, and the Ancient Greeks, were actually another race of humanoids that mated with humans, turning us from the Neanderthals into much more developed humans. (There actually is an as yet unexplained jump in evolution.)

Well, just an idea, and I don't think it's been done before.
Tell me what you think,
Thanks
Peter

Hehehe...actually here in Greece there is a 'movement' of ultra-patriot nutjobs that pretty much preach what you described...specifically that we Greeks are descendends of the alien race El that came from Sirius...one day soon they will come back and we will be 100 million and conquer you all! :) I wish I could show you guys some videos of their unofficial 'leader' raving in his show about all sorts of similar theories and conspiracies, but of course it's in greek and you won't get it :)
battlestar galactica and stargate

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement