Sign in to follow this  
xx6heartless6xx

Need Help Chosing my 1st Graphics Library

I've been programming for a while now, learning the basics and how C++ runs. I think I'm now ready to start programming graphics and hopefully lead to a small game soon. I was wondering which graphics library i should use and which would be best for C++. There's Allegro, SDL, OpenGL, Direct 3D, etc. Can you guys help me out?

jyk    2094
Quote:
Also what's lazy foo tutorials??
If you type 'lazy foo tutorials' into Google, the very first hit is Lazy Foo Tutorials.

This isn't intended to be a generic 'just Google it' response, but rather just a hint that quite often, using Google (or the search engine of your choice) will be the fastest way to get answers to the questions you may have. You can ask 'what's lazy foo tutorials?' on these forums and then wait a few hours or days to see if someone replies, or you can type it into Google and have your answer in seconds. The latter method is much more efficient, time-wise! :)

X Abstract X    109
I would opt for SDL because

1. Lazy Foo's Tutorials (already mentioned) are a really good resource for learning it.
2. It is probably the most used of the high level graphics libraries therefore it is easier to get help.
3. It can be combined with OpenGL easily to manage windows, input, sound, etc.

I have just started to do the Lazy Foo SDL tutorials, but when i try to write a program to load an image it comes with a lot of bugs.

I do not understand because I copy and pasted it exactly from his site. Anyways here are the errors:

1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_Quit referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_FreeSurface referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_Delay referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_Flip referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_UpperBlit referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_LoadBMP_RW referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_RWFromFile referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_SetVideoMode referenced in function _SDL_main
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_Init referenced in function _SDL_main
1>MSVCRTD.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>C:\Users\Omar\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\proj\Debug\proj.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 10 unresolved externals

Please help.

rip-off    10979
Quote:

...when i try to write a program to load an image it comes with a lot of bugs.

Those aren't bugs. They are linker errors. Bugs are something you observe in a running program* where it is supposed to do one thing, but it does something else.

Those errors indicate you haven't set up your linker settings for SDL. Have you following the instructions here?

* with experience, you'll even be able to spot bugs before you run the program