Sign in to follow this  
ExtremeCudility

Basics are done now WHAT??

ok my thread name seems pretty bold but cldnt think of nething else. m new here to GameDev and i wld probably say a beginner not a total beginner I created some guessing games , a tic tac toe using pure DEV C++ and two 2D space games using XNA framework using C# . so i think m pretty much used to using C++ and C# somewhat. Now i want to Enter 3d,right from scratch, what is DIRECTX ? What IS openGL ? m very confused with all this stuff rite now and i cant find a book that starts 3d programming rite from scratch. m good with maths and physics. and i really want my career to chase down graphics programming, Yea who doesnt want to be a graphics programmer. M studyin IT engg rite now and thinkin of taking a Game Development Course From STATES after i complete my BE but before that i really need to know the core features of 3D graphics programming. SO GUYZ PLEASE NEED UR PRO SUGGESTIONS as to what should i do now.Which books to start with, How to Start with ?

as you already know the xna syntax, you could try 'Microsoft XNA Game Studio 3.0 Unleashed' , it covers xna (so both 2D and 3D).

I had my introduction into DirectX with 'Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach' and I can only recommend it (although you might better use the new version witch is on directX 10) :)

also the 'OpenGL red book' is recommended if you want to use opengl.

Yea But there are liky dozens of books for directx and OpenGL , like

beginning openGL programming, beginning graphics programming with directx 9.0,
beginning Direct3D programming,Game graphics programming ... list goes on n on.

Every day i find a new book in the list and feel i should start with that one instead of old one. So getting the right one with more suggestions would be appreciated :)

thats wat a novice like me gets stuck into even after reading tons n tons of articles , you just dont know where to start with, lol , programming can be frustating for short tempered people :P

I asked myself the same question.. long time ago :) I would say, take a look at the NeHe tutorials. They´re a great introduction to OpenGL. Now that you have some little experience with XNA which is using DX, why don´t take a look at the other side? It´s the best way to figure out which API is the one of your choice, and then it´s the right time to buy some some books.

DX and OGL are both equivalent APIs for writing hardware-accelerated graphical applications, it´s only a matter of taste if you ask me...

adios!

Just pick one and get started with it. There isn't really a "best" option - just pick something that looks interesting to you. The suggestion offered by 'Yourself' would probably make a good choice.

Oh, and in case you go with C++ don't use Dev-C++; there are much better alternatives available for free.

Quote:
Original post by ExtremeCudility
beginning openGL programming, beginning graphics programming with directx 9.0,
beginning Direct3D programming,Game graphics programming ... list goes on n on.

I usually avoid any book with in its title "beginning" or "in X hours" or "in Y days" ;). Have fun and enjoy 3d world. Later I suggest picking a copy of Real Time Rendering. It's an excellent book.