GetFrontBufferData does memory leak

Started by
4 comments, last by Brejlounek 14 years ago
Hi there, I make an app which repetadly uses screenshot image data. I am using GetFrontBufferData but I have one serious problm with it. Whenever I call it, do some changes to the surface and free it, system memory used by my app grows a little. I am sure I am releasing everything properly, it surely does GetFrontBufferData. At start, my app uses about 37 MB of memory. After few tens of GetFrontBufferData it reaches a number near 51 MB and program crashes - with an error E_OUTOFMEMORY. The strange thing is there is no full memory, nothing is exceeded - in a moment, when my app uses about 51 MB there is 2 GB out of 4 GB system memory free and 230 MB out of 512 MB video memory free. I don't get it. Can you help me, please? Where could this error be?
Advertisement
Can you show us the relevant code, please (retrieving and releasing the surface and also the changes you mentioned) ?

If you haven't tried already: Comment out code which you believe is responsible and check if the crash persists. It might be somewhere else.

And have you used PIX ?
Thank you for your quick response.

Here's the relevant part of code:

LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 o1tex = NULL;
IDirect3DSurface9 *o1surf=NULL;
IDirect3DSurface9 *o1texs=NULL;

if (!dr(DevView->CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(1680,1050,D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8,D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM,&o1surf, NULL),L"o1surf error")) //main surface
{
return;
}

if (!dr(DevView->CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(1680,1050,D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8,D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM,&o1texs, NULL),L"o1texs error")) //texture surface
{
return;
}

if (!dr(D3DXCreateTexture(DevView,1680,1050,1,0,D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8,D3DPOOL_MANAGED,&o1tex),L"o1tex error")) //texture, DevView is d3d device
{
return;
}

dr(DevView->GetFrontBufferData(0,o1surf),L"Error"); //dr captures a dx error

//locking texture surface and do a simple change to see if it works
D3DLOCKED_RECT pu;
o1surf->LockRect(&pu,0,0);
BYTE* pBits;
pBits = (BYTE*)pu.pBits;

int index;
for (int y=0;y<vdisphe;y+=1)
for (int x=0;x<vdispwi;x+=1)
{
index= (x*4)+(y*pu.Pitch);
pBits[index]=255-pBits[index];
pBits[index+1]=255-pBits[index+1];
pBits[index+2]=255-pBits[index+2];
}

o1surf->UnlockRect();

o1tex->GetSurfaceLevel(0,&o1texs); //get texture surface
D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface(o1texs,NULL,NULL,o1surf,NULL,NULL,D3DX_FILTER_LINEAR,0); //copy o1surf into o1texs

//now I render the texture, not important

//releasing
SAFE_RELEASE(o1surf);
SAFE_RELEASE(o1tex);
SAFE_RELEASE(o1texs);

If I uncomment a line with GetFrontBufferData, surface is blank (of course) but memory usage is still. It's really GetFrontBufferData.

I did never use PIX before but it sounds like a very useful utility. I'll try using it soon.
Huh,

the 2nd surface (the DevView->CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(1680,1050,D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8,D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM,&o1texs, NULL),L"o1texs error") ) isn't freed and never used actually.

o1tex->GetSurfaceLevel(0,&o1texs) overwrites o1texs value, so your pointer is lost.
Nice catch c3Dp. Right, no need to create the surface beforehand, GetSurfaceLevel will actually return one.

Quote:If I uncomment a line with GetFrontBufferData, surface is blank (of course) but memory usage is still. It's really GetFrontBufferData.

(I think you meant "comment out"). Did you really comment out only that line ?
Yes, I mean comment out, sorry.

Thank you, c3Dp! That was the problem, I deleted o1texs inicialization so now I free o1texs from GetSurfaceLevel properly. The problem probably disappeared by commenting out GetFrontBufferData because there simply wasn't something that could be loaded into memory.

Thank you! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement