Clones Multiplayer Demo (RTS / Puzzle)

Started by
6 comments, last by okmot2 13 years, 11 months ago
We've been working on a game that was inspired by the 2-player mode of Lemmings for the SNES. Our game is named Clones and the demo can be found here www.ClonesGame.com/demo. Demo video -
">
NEW demo video -
">
The basic gameplay is similar to the lemmings-style, but we have tried to make it more balanced for competitive multiplayer matches by adding a few new abilities (lop off the head, atomize into bits, and fly up) as well as different game modes and modifiers to enhance replayability. Up to 16 players are supported and multiple gravities are enabled. There is a fully featured level editor in the full version and over 150 singleplayer puzzles including "boss fights" (our first attempt to add pseudo-A.I. to this type of gameplay). If you have any questions or comments, please post them in our forums. Feel free to request a multiplayer match sometime, it can get really intense! Thanks and have a nice day. rt [Edited by - okmot2 on May 19, 2010 1:12:23 PM]
Advertisement
Btw, we were down at the GDC 2010 as part of the Game On Manitoba booth and had a live multiplayer session active using a touchscreen monitor.
The touchscreen interface for this type of game works really well and as such we'd eventually like to port this to iPad. If there are any freelance programmers or companies in these forums that could help with the port then we should talk :)
Great game! Can't wait for the full version. What language/libraries did you guys use to code this? Plus, how did you guys get funding from the province and other groups? If I had funding and some dedicated people whom I could pay I could design some nice stuff too.
Quote:Original post by Ophelius
Great game! Can't wait for the full version. What language/libraries did you guys use to code this? Plus, how did you guys get funding from the province and other groups? If I had funding and some dedicated people whom I could pay I could design some nice stuff too.

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun working on this project. We programmed the game in C++ with DirectX for graphics. We use libxml, ogg vorbis, OpenAL, libcurl and a few other low level libraries but the majority of the game is custom code, including networking.

The funding was part of a video game business incubator named Fortune Cat (http://fortunecatgames.ca) - if you have a game idea or prototype then you definitely want to contact them, they've been a big help.
We've released a patch that enables an alternate scrolling method and allows you to save/load multiplayer level configurations. A match with 999 clones each and a 100ms release rate makes the gameplay almost like trying to direct a stream/snake to a goal area. Different strategy required.

We've got some feedback regarding the first level in the game and are considering replacing it in the next patch. If anyone has played this level then relating any comments you have would be most appreciated.
Quote:Original post by okmot2
We've got some feedback regarding the first level in the game and are considering replacing it in the next patch.

We've released version 1.02 which contains a replacement for the first tutorial level. It's simple, shorter, and incorporates all of the feedback we received. It might just be the greatest tutorial level in the history of video games.

We've just released a patch to the current demo which addresses some stability issues. If you haven't tried the demo then now is a great time to do so: www.ClonesGame.com/demo

We are keeping a multiplayer server running 10am-5pm CST so if you'd like to experience multiplayer gameplay please join it and provide feedback so that we can improve the game as much as possible!
An awesome new gameplay video has been posted to YouTube -
">

Check it out and please post your thoughts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement