Started by
13 comments, last by BCullis 14 years, 1 month ago
I am not really into to hardcore games but now that I am thinkin of it better,
in the trailers that they use 3d models and in 3d anim movies that than became
a game they don't use the same models. You can almost notice that in every game
the trailer is the 10% of the actual game graphics. But I have still
noticed Call of Duty MW2 that had these amazing graphics, effects, it was
really stunning... and I am just wondering what stops ppl from creating that
good games? I mean they done it with COD MW2 what seems to be the problem?
I am thinkin that it could be due to greed. Game developers want to
target a big range of computers and thats why they adjust their game to this.
Advertisement
with no doubt the program will run, but thousands of polygons on a model will lower framerate, and if there are enough, the frame rate will drop well below 1 fps. now, some platfoms shutdown games and applications that are not responding or using way to much memory, so what you use your polygons on, is up to you.

with the game im developeing, i can have about 50,000 polygons being accesed by a function and the framerate wont drop. thats probably because i set it to 30 anyway, but as i said, its up to you.
i feel like an idiot. my game cant get anywhere near 50,000 polys. i realized i had culling on. the actual umber is roughly 10,000 - 20,000;

oh well.
Quote:Original post by D4n1s
the trailer is the 10% of the actual game graphics. But I have still

Targeting a broad range of hardware isn't just greed, all developers want their software to be used, If people can't afford the hardware required by your software noone will use it, Even people who give their software away for free wants as many as possible to use their software.

MW2 graphics isn't that special, its a new game and looks on par with most other new games in the same genre, it doesn't really push the limits of what could be done, (It targets fairly old hardware such as the PS3 and xbox360 aswell as older PCs)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by D4n1s
the trailer is the 10% of the actual game graphics.

This is the same reason you saw most JRPG games on the 1st generation consoles come with pre-rendered cutscenes: the designers wanted great visuals for the really intense story sequences, but the hardware couldn't handle that, so they pre-rendered the video. Since pre-rendering can take as long as you want (as opposed to real-time rendering of game assets every frame), they can use incredibly high-detail models for the movie sequences. A great example is the cutscenes in Warcraft III: the floor in the throne room of Lordaeron was made from individually modeled stones, which "clogged up [their] render farm for weeks" (quoted from the Art of Warcraft book).

It shouldn't surprise you then that the in-game models can't be created with the same level of detail.

Quote:But I have still

What you're talking about is a zero-sum situation: MW2 is drawing fewer models with higher polygon counts, while games like WoW are drawing many more models with lower polygon counts. Abstractly: 5*100 == 100*5.

There's only so much hardware to use for your graphics, and if you start to get into the programming aspect of graphics, you'll see just how much has to be done 30-60 times per second to create these visuals. You'll also discover how much energy goes into creating the illusion of a seamless world, high populations, long view distances, and so on. For example, many FPS games with high model detail will limit your viewable area with the level layout (blind corners, indoor areas, etc). Just because a team of dozens of programmers or artists makes it look easy, doesn't mean it is easy. Your vision and requirements dictate how you'll spend your graphics resources on a game.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement