Probably a strange question.

Started by
13 comments, last by BCullis 14 years, 1 month ago
I had this kind of strange question while creating a 3d model... Why its so easy to create a really good 3d model and there are games with worst 3d models. I am wondering why do 3d game developers don't use good 3d models, its because of memory? its because of hardware nonsupport or what?
Advertisement
I think the simple answer is that graphics cards in general can only render so many polygons at a time. This restricts the detail of game models. Memory is also a factor.

I wouldn't say it is really easy to create great models either although I'm not an artist! :p
Care to give us an example of which game(s) you were thinking of?
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
There is much, much more to putting a 3D model into a game than just creating the model. It also has to be textured, "rigged" (i.e. given a "skeleton" to define how the parts of the model can move relative to each other), and then animations created using that rigging. Finally it has to be programmed to use the animations, and possibly to adapt the animations to everything else that's going on in the game physics (e.g. collision).
And of course texturing doesn't mean just putting an image onto it. In addition to the usual diffuse map(s), you'll need specularity maps, reflectivity maps, bump maps, maybe even subsurface maps. You'll need to make sure your model has clean and non-degenerated tangents everywhere for normal mapping. You might need convex envelopes for collision and physics. You might need facial animation data matched to the model. If you want to use the new DX11/OGL4 hardware tesselation engine, you need additional parametric data defined all over the model.

And of course it is certainly not easy to create a really good looking 3D model. In fact, digital artists able to create really high quality 3D models are a pretty rare species, and usually cost a shitload of money. So either the OP is an amazingly talented artist, or our definitions of "really good 3d model" differ significantly :)
I am referring to MMORPGs mostly. Like wow which has really low poly models.
And strategy games mostly. But lets say... If I create a game with really really
really really really complicated 3d models with thousands of polys, is there any
possibility to not be able to even run it? If yes what prevents me? Graphics card
memory? And what I can do to be able to play it?
Quote:Original post by D4n1s
And strategy games mostly.

These type of games have high unit counts, which multiplies the number of polygons the hardware has to handle.

Quote: But lets say... If I create a game with really really
really really really complicated 3d models with thousands of polys, is there any
possibility to not be able to even run it? If yes what prevents me? Graphics card

It would probably run, but with unsatisfactory performance.
graphics card memory would be the main problem... cpu usage would skyrocket as well.

WoW has low poly models but it has a huge world, which most likely is preloaded to a good point. Not to mention, Blizzard is very very big and good on making their games compatible to as many systems as possible.
Quote:Original post by D4n1s
And strategy games mostly. But lets say... If I create a game with really really

Memory isn't a huge issue for model detail (Texture detail have a much larger impact) , the polygon count however greatly affects render time, more polygons means that the model takes longer to render and thus you get a lower framerate.

The more models you have on screen at the same time the lower their detail has to be for things to run smoothly, the use of other effects like textures, lighting, shadows etc also forces you to reduce model detail.

If you mainly target "hardcore" gamers you can push things alot harder than if you target the broad mainstream since they are more likely to have high end hardware.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:If you mainly target "hardcore" gamers you can push things alot harder than if you target the broad mainstream since they are more likely to have high end hardware.

But note that hardcore gamers have this high end hardware partly in order to get good performance, and they are much more likely to notice, or even be annoyed by poor FPS than casual players. So don't push too hard :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement