Sign in to follow this  
Timptation

SCTP in gaming?

Timptation    132
I'm reading a networking book right now and wondering if I should even be bothering with the SCTP sections. Are there games that need multiple IP addresses per client? This sounds like something unrelated to gaming in general. Its like saying there's one player doing multiple things on multiple systems...?

hplus0603    11356
SCTP is one of those things that may, at some point, become relevant, but isn't there just quite yet. Kind-of like IPv6 :-)

I would worry a lot more about understanding the semantics of TCP (what is a port vs a socket, and what is the "connection tuple"?), the semantics of UDP, and the semantics of recv()/send() (when do they block? When do they return less data than requested? How that that interact with select()?) Once you really understand those bits, picking up the specifics of other protocols is not that hard.

elFarto    206
I think SCTP for games would be quite good. It support multiple streams within each connection, it's packet based, and each packet can be optionally-in order and optionally-reliable.

It does however have a bit more overhead than TCP and UDP. SCTP has a header size of 28 bytes, TCP has 20 and UDP 8 (Although you'd end up with slightly more overhead in TCP and UDP as you attempt to reproduce the same features as SCTP).

Regards
elFarto