It is necessary a graphic engine?

Started by
8 comments, last by jor1980 14 years ago
Hi i am learning how to use slimdx with c#, i know that to be a good programmer i have to learn c++, until i make it i want to start my first game, i want to know if it is necessary to use a graphic engine to obtain good graphic results and if it is necessary i would like to know a good free graphic engine to use it with slimdx. Thank´s
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jor1980
i know that to be a good programmer i have to learn c++,

Where did you get that idea from? To be a good programmer you have to learn how to program and have some sense for analytical thinking. And you have to actually program. The language itself doesn't matter; many different languages are used in different problem domains.

i want to know if it is necessary to use a graphic engine to obtain good graphic results

The best graphics engine will not give you good results if you don't have high quality assets to put into it. You don't have to use an engine (you could write one yourself) but the time that you will have to invest in that case would be much greater.
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
i know that to be a good programmer i have to learn c++,

Where did you get that idea from? To be a good programmer you have to learn how to program and have some sense for analytical thinking. And you have to actually program. The language itself doesn't matter; many different languages are used in different problem domains.

i want to know if it is necessary to use a graphic engine to obtain good graphic results

The best graphics engine will not give you good results if you don't have high quality assets to put into it. You don't have to use an engine (you could write one yourself) but the time that you will have to invest in that case would be much greater.

maybe it is a good idea to write my own engine to improve my knwoledge, but i would like to know how to start to make this.

Which are the targets that i must reach building my own engine?
maybe it is a good idea to write my own engine to improve my knwoledge
It's not good idea, it's a gigantic waste of time. Find a nice framework that works with C# (SlimDX, XNA, whatever else), and make a game. Maintaining an engine is a full time job, and at the end you will have nothing to show for it.

Quote:Original post by Daaark
maybe it is a good idea to write my own engine to improve my knwoledge
It's not good idea, it's a gigantic waste of time. Find a nice framework that works with C# (SlimDX, XNA, whatever else), and make a game. Maintaining an engine is a full time job, and at the end you will have nothing to show for it.

Now i am using slimdx.If i would like to see real physics effects in my creations with slimdx what must i do.Are there any tool to create easy physics effects to use with slimdx?
Now i am using slimdx.If i would like to see real physics effects in my creations with slimdx what must i do.Are there any tool to create easy physics effects to use with slimdx?

I'm not sure there is such a thing as "easy physics". It's always going to be a little bit awkward to get it to look and feel right.

But are you making a 2D or a 3D game?
Assuming you're definatly not planning on porting to 360 (based on your use of SlimDX) the C# port of Box2D might suit your needs. Theres also Farseer, but I think that may rely on XNA.

For 3D the only C# physics engine I know of is Matali.

I haven't tried any of these libraries out myself. Although I had a play with the C++ version of Box2D a while back and can recomend it to you if you're planning a 2D game.
i am making a 3d game.I take this as my own practice at programming. My target is achieve to build a simple game with good graphics and some realistic physics, just to learn how to make a game with physics
Have you thought about just modding a current FPS game? Many of the big titles offer tons of customizability. It would probably be the easiest way to get your feet wet.
Quote:Original post by dingojohn
Have you thought about just modding a current FPS game? Many of the big titles offer tons of customizability. It would probably be the easiest way to get your feet wet.

i haven´t thought it, but maybe if i do it by myself i could learn more
i have seen this physics library JigLibX, what do you think about it?Could i use it with slimdx?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement