Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Templating Images for Games

This topic is 5972 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m a coder(wish to be..) But I need to know how to "template" images for my game. I don''t know how its done, I think I do, but need to know how. Is it by creating each image a certain size, then place a pixel between each image.. and when make the program, extract them mxn amount of pixels? Well, someone please explain or point me to a tutorial anywhere. Help, I''''m a newbie |:^)

There are different ways to do this.
The way you describe it is a good first attempt, although you will only be able to use fixed size sprites. That''s OK for tile based games, but remember that you might want to use something a bit more complicated later.

The way to do this is to have either, your own file format, it would have a header that would describe all the positions of the sprites in the overall picture (that means you could have sprites with varying sizes), or to have a BIG picture file, with an accompanying description file with the same role than the header mentioned above.
For a good example, check the SFF file format used in the MUGEN engine. If you don''t understand, well ... maybe ask one of the *programming* forum, you know (though I *could* explain, if you ask)