Display modes through glut

Started by
2 comments, last by SuperVGA 14 years ago
Hey guys! I want to enumerate all possible display modes for any monitor on any platform with glut, and I thought setting the game mode string several times (widths*heights*depths*freqs), whereafter asking whether if any of these game modes are possible would fill up a nice list of modes. This is (probably) true. But, I like my console while developing, and I don't want glut to fill it up with early descisions on whether the game mode string would work or not. I have GLUT_GAME_MODE_POSSIBLE for that. Nevertheless, Glut keeps rambling several million lines to the console before I would get my list, and I cannot wait that long. -Is there any way I can avoid glutGameModeString writing to my console without disabling my console entirely? If not, is there any (other) platform-independent way to enumerate working display modes? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Well, i guess i could just make a graphical console and use that instead. -or wait that one hour for every machine to store the possible modes locally.

Really, somebody must have dealt with this before?
How did valve enumerate the video modes for half-life 1 in opengl mode?
Quote:Original post by SuperVGA
Really, somebody must have dealt with this before?
How did valve enumerate the video modes for half-life 1 in opengl mode?

HL1 didn't use GLUT, they probably used WGL directly.

GLUT is pretty limited, isn't mean to do that, is just for rapid prototyping and examples.
i know, but i thought using glut would make it more platform indepebdent than resorting to wgl. it's doable, i just need to fix the console thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement