Mesh deformation ( like boolean )

Started by
1 comment, last by M4573R 14 years, 1 month ago
I hope this is the right forum for this. I've become interested in making a level editor that lets you paint out terrain sort of like a height map, but lets you do things like build up a tall column or dig tunnels without just stretching the mesh, but adding complexity as you go. Sort of like boolean operations, but less complicated or robust. A good example is the Crysis editor. In this video, a tunnel is made in a mountain ( starts at about 5:45 )
Are there specific techniques simpler than boolean operations I can look up? Or is that my only real option? Thanks for any info.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by M4573R...A good example is the Crysis editor.

The Crysis sandbox editor uses voxels as its underlying representation. You can read a bit about them here (and there's a few references for their use in gaming):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel

You might also want to investigate 'isosurface extraction', and the 'Marching Cubes' algorithm is a good place to start here.

If you are really interested in this stuff, I have recently published an article in Game Engine Gems 1.
Uh oh, I was afraid it was going to be something like that. I had previous thought about this as an approach previously and even posted here about it, but kind of got shot down because of it's complexity. I'll research some more though and see really how hard it will be. Thanks for the link too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement