Open Libraries

Started by
13 comments, last by TheRealMAN11 22 years, 8 months ago
Are there libraries like OpenGL and OpenAL that would do the things the DirectX components do (ie. directplay and directinput). And if there are are they cross platform like OpenGL and OpenAL. And is OpenAL as good as directsound Matthew WebMaster www.Matt-Land.com
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
Advertisement
OpenAL was excellent when I messed around with it (I''ll probably use it again for my current project). I''m using SDL to do crossplatform (Mac, Windows, *nix+XF86, BeOS) input, threading, window management, and time keeping. It doesn''t do networking, but there''s another library on the SDL site to do that for a couple platforms.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Oh, yeah, and SDL is open source under the LGPL .

SDL does not do 3d sound out of the package. Does OpenAL?

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com
I think OpenAL does. OpenAL uses DirectSound in Windows, so it should be able to do everything DirectSound does. That''s why I''m thinking of using it instead of SDL to do sound for my project .

So what about the directinput and directplay equivalents

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com
OpenAL is great. you can do 3d sound and best of all it''s a cross-platform library.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
As I said before, SDL does input. Somewhere on the SDL site there is a package called SDL_Net (or something similar). I''m not sure how far along it is, but it is a cross platform network library. Also, there is something called OpenPlay (made by Apple). I didn''t like it too much though. Or, you could just use Berkeley sockets (i.e. avoid the WSA winsock functions).

most companys dont use directplay, they use sockets instead. u might wanna have a look at hawknl for a crossplatform alternative.
I use GLUT + OpenGL + OpenAL + xaudio (a very portable free mp3 player). Maybe I will replace GLUT by SDL, I don''t like it, but it seems that GLUT is not in developpement!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement