Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peter Cunliffe

MD2 converted to CHR's

I''ve tried creating a couple of CHR''s with CHREDIT [beta 8] from MD2''s for hardware pipeline. One has deformed head geometry [Chris I emailed you that one] the other looks ok but when I tilt the camera up the model disappears as view approaches head of model - if I back away with camera the model reappears! This doesn''t happen with the old software pipeline versions of the same models. BTW if I use Beta 6 the guy with the deformed head is cured , but the vanishing model still vanishes. Thanks in advance for helping! Petrovski

Build the character twice in a row. The second time it will calculate bounding boxes and fix that problem.

I don''t think I can get that other model you sent me working. The first frame has all the vertices crushed together in the same location and it''s getting confused.

Ok thanks Chris.
Are you saying that the faults in the model would explain
why its ok in software pipeline but not the vertex shader
enabled hardware pipeline?

If so how come I can compile with Beta 6 and the model is ok
but crushed in Beta 8 (vertex shaders different in Beta 6?).

BTW I''m confused over the dialog box selection of HAL & REF,
on my system REF appears to be Hardware Pipeline and HAL
software pipeline - is this correct?

Thanks in advance for helping!
Petrovski

When the model is converted to vertex buffers for T&L, it adds the vertex to a new list if it doesn''t exist already. So if there are two vertices at the same location and same texture coordinate it will confuse them and pick the first one it finds.
The MD2 you sent had all the guy''s vertices crushed together in the first frame. Maybe it would work if I created the base mesh from another frame in CHR Edit.

Beta 6 didn''t use vertex shaders for MD2 animation. It was all done using the software pipeline.

HAL should be your 3D card. REF is software. I never use REF and it''s not even supposed to be supported by PR. Maybe your enumeration code is wrong. Are you using the current devdlg.c code?

Yes Chris , HAL & REF are in the dialog box for all your examples.
With your exapmles I get the same speed whether HAL or REF is
used probably because they are not very complex projects but
surely this proves REF setting in PR dialog is not software?
So for me enumeration of devices is wrong?

When I compile my own projects using your dialog code I find the REF setting is faster than HAL. I have Radeon DDR and WIN2K.

I notice in the MS DX8 SDK that the modes are listed as :

1 HAL
2 REF
3 SW

So maybe 3 is software [that one doesn''t appear in PR dialog box!].
Anyway for now I''ve decided to make "REF" setting default on my stuff instead of HAL - my biggest project won''t run when "HAL" setting is used!

Thanks in advance for helping!
Petrovski