Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does a program store info?

This topic is 5971 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been thinking lately about space TBS games and how they aren''t very realistic. Specifically their size. Usually a galaxy in a game like this has about 100 stars. That''s not very many for an entire galaxy. Of course we could argue that its only a small part of a galaxy. That solves that problem, but I was thinking that wouldn''t the game be better if the part of the galaxy were bigger. So I started to wonder what would be a good size and I decided on 1 billion cubic light years. That''s still about a million times less than the real galaxy. OK, now on to my question. Would something like this be possible? I''m not exactly sure about how everything in a computer program works, but it was my understanding that a program runs in RAM. So even if I could somehow store all the data about each cubic light year in a single byte, that would still require 1 GB of RAM. Do I have this right or am I missing something?

Guest Anonymous Poster
In games, reality is not stored directly, for something
like this it would be a linked list or a database.
And anything which can be viewed in the game you just store
the object''s co-ordinates and when you view a particular
point in space you just display whatever has coordinates in
the area.