Mode 13h in DOS

Started by
18 comments, last by misterags 21 years, 10 months ago
realy good people do not do retro stuff
Advertisement
Anonymous poster: "realy good people do not do retro stuff"

Really good people STARTED in DOS and worked upward.
Really good people learned to program everything WITHOUT API''s and tools.
And what you call middle age is what they call good old memories from a forgotten magical realm.

Electron

"64 kb of memory ought to be enough for anybody-Bill gates -89

--Electron"The truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it.""'General failure trying to read from file' - who is General Failure, and why is he reading my file??"
Mode13h is wonderful - lots of fun. Go with it. It''s really quite easy under DJGPP. Go to http://www.inversereality.org/tutorials/tutorial.html .
The exact explanation of why mode 13h and interrupts in general don''t work with VC++ is that VC++ creates Win32 programs only. In Win32 (or linux, or any modern 32-bit OS) only device drivers, the kernel, etc, have permission to access the hardware and applications need to use an API. If you read about the 386 architecture and OS design you''ll understand this a little better.
There''s a tutorial for programming in VGA (mode 13h) for DOS here:

http://www.brackeen.com/home/vga/
"DOS is deader than death..." *sing*
This post is getting bigger than "save gamedev"...

True, DOS is out. But it''s a perfect environment for starting the programming-demons in you head. The low-level abilities are just perfect with memory access, playing with interrupts etc. I started out in Turbo Pascal, then I used DJGPP and at last I''m sitting in Linux.

And I''m glad I did. I couldn''t have done what I have done in Linux, if I didn''t program in DOS. Many neat tricks, asm etc is not learnt in Windows, but in DOS. Those tricks, asm blabla can then be used in Windows or Linux to give incredible speed-ups for graphics, sound and so on.

DOS-programming is OUT, but DOS-programmers are NOT!
i think you can program for dos in VC++, just select console application when you make a new project. And mode 13h IS an exelent starting point when learning gameprogramming, but directdraw isn''t that hard to start with either...
"i think you can program for dos in VC++, just select console application when you make a new project"

Go ahead and compile a console app, reboot into dos, run it. You will get the following printed to the screen: "This program must be run under Win32"
This is an old thread.

BTW, "Anonymous Poster", don''t bring back old threads, especially with false information like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement