[java] Java Beginner Stuff?

Started by
7 comments, last by Strata Gem 22 years, 8 months ago
Can anyone recomend any some good beginner Java stuff for someone new to programing. ie no "like in C". My back ground is art, and everything I find has "like in C". Anything would be helpful URLs books... Thanks
Advertisement
The latest ''Beginning Java X'' book by Ivor Horton. i think it''s Beginning Java 1.3 now, but i''m not sure.
Hi!

A tutorial on Java: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Regards
Johan
Johan Karlsson
Java How to Program Dietel/Dietel is an awesome book. I used their C++ to learn that language a while back and their Java version has been invaluable to me in picking Java up. It starts from the beginning and assumes no C background. However it is rather expensive at $70 but worth every penny.

Sieggy
yes, young jedi

Walter Savitch "JAVA: an introduction to Computer Science"

From the ground up, yo.

"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt
I use the nice "Java THE Complete reference". Then again most books for the beginner are similar. you''ll also find most beginner books natter on about or have atleast one chapter on "Migrating from C++ to Java" my other java book covering 1.2 had little notes everynow and again "Of Special reference to C/C++ programmers" etc
if you like programming, you like maths, you just don't know it yet
Ivor Horton does write some great books... he got me up to speed with C, too.

If you don''t mind the expense, Deitel & Deitel wrote a $70sh book called ''Java: How To Program''. It''s dry as the sahara, but it seriously rocks. Dealing with rock-solid examples of everything up to applets reading text files off url''s, this book is great.

Books with pitfalls:

Java in 21 Days... some nice stuff, but missing critical stuff. Good if you find it cheap.

Internet Game Programming in 21 Days... same as about but different sections missed. Java 1.0.

Black book of Java Game Programming... awesome as backup for a Ivor''s or Deitel/Dietel''s meaty book, horrid by itself. Java 1.0.

Download the source code for JTrek Academy. It's the best game ever written in Java.

http://www.tornspace.com/detail.asp?P=4

Edited by - Torn Space on August 7, 2001 3:06:48 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the leads I have already started to look into some of these resources. Keep em coming though, because I am sure there are more good resources out there, and more guys like me looking for a good resource.

Thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement