8bit or 16bit Desktop - The Final Insult! ARGH!

Started by
2 comments, last by Nick Spolec 22 years, 8 months ago
Well, if anyone has been following, I have been having some trouble with 265 color images created with a 16bit desktop. It just seems those little rascals will not appeared correctly in 8bit mode (weather it be in Windows, DOS, or even the game itself). Now.. Seeing as the images were created using 265 colors (8bit), shouldn''t they display correctly in actual 8bit mode? You would think, wouldn''t you? But appears that 8bit and 16bit use completely different 265 color settings.... I thought 8bit just used a different set of colors. UNTIL I FOUND THIS LITTLE BIT OUT. I decided to turn my desktop to 24bit, then to 32bit, and see the images I created. It turns that the images I created in 16bit desktop with 256 color mode looked exactly like the messed up, displayed incorrectly images that I was seeing in 8bit desktop/NeoPaint/The Actual game itself. I then loaded up images I created in both NeoPaint and 8bit Windows mode.. Low and behold, they appear CORRECTLY (Just like the game)! What the hell could this mean? 16bit mode seems to be the only mode not displaying 256 colors at all correctly... Why? All other modes display the same looking colors... From 8bit desktop, 24bit, and 32bit.. They all display the images I created with 8bit correctly... EXCEPT 16BIT. Oooohhh... *sniff* This is low... So pitiful... The final insult... Ok.. I solved my problem.. No more 16bit mode I guess. Maybe my Voodoo3 is messed up, or maybe 3dfx was smoking crack when they built that part of the display... Sorry for thinking most of you were crazy for not seeing what I was seeing with my 8bit created pictures.. -Snake/Nick Spolec thesnakepit.cjb.net
Nick, Landsofalstaria.com
Advertisement
16 bit colour uses 5 or 6 bits per pixel. All the other modes use 8 bits per pixel. So 16 bit colour may make some of the colours you chose in 256 colour mode to look slightly different. Usually it''s not very noticable though.
Well, let me tell you... It is a BIG difference... All my graphics looks totally fugged up.

-Snake
Nick, Landsofalstaria.com
Well, the difference between 16-bit and the other modes shouldn''t be that much. It should only be the difference between having 255 gradients of the red, green and blue components, and 32 gradients. If you are getting something more significant than that, then perhaps your 16-bit mode is messed up (usually cos you''re using 6 bits for green when you should be using 5, or vice versa).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement