Sign in to follow this  

Does I need to know all STL concepts?

This topic is 2816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Strictly speaking, you don't "need" to know any STL to create those games, but the more you know, the easier it can be. It has a lot of functionality that can save you a lot of work.

At the bottom of this post there's a free book called Thinking in C++. Its second volume has pretty extensive coverage of the STL.

You don't. There is a bare minimum you need to effectively interact with the standard library containers and algorithms that will make a large difference to the quality of your game and how fast you develop it.

You will keep learning for some time to come, and you can't really master these things until you have had a change to use it. But it pays to be aware of them so you can learn about them when needed. For example, so far I haven't had cause to use the std::multi_* containers, but I know they exist and when I do come across a need for them, I won't end up reimplementing them myself.

This topic is 2816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.