Manually manipulating animation in D3D?

Started by
5 comments, last by Waaayoff 14 years ago
I have a question. I'm making a chess game where a human model moves his hand over a piece, picks it up and places it on it's destination square. Now if i wanted to create an animation of every moving possibility that would be 2016 animations. Which is both stupid and insane I was thinking that maybe i should create a single animation of a model picking and placing a piece, and then just multiply bone's/joint's combined matrix with a translation matrix, placing the hand wherever i please. Is this the way it's done? Or is there a simpler way? Thanks!
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Advertisement
bump. anyone?
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Sounds about right.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
You could also look into implementing inverse kinematics.
I'd probably create an animation of a hand picking up and putting down a piece then use Inverse Kinematics to dynamically control the joints from the wrist to the shoulder to animate the arm.
Depends on whether the model is like a disembodied hand or like an arm reaching over to move it. If it's the former then IK might be a bit overkill.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
it's a full human model.

Inverse kinematics sounds exactly like what i need. It's a bit complicated though. Time for some math then!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement