a problem with collision detection...

Started by
9 comments, last by Zakwayda 14 years ago
i am trying to figure something about collision detection in 3D. the setting is a platform game,and i want to detect collision with a platform when the player jumps. now as far as i knew it was just shooting a ray from the player,with the direction of the player's velocity and checking if it hits any of the platform's triangles. but i can see a problem that i will present through this image which was painted with my horribly amazing MS paint skills as you can see,the happy character wants to reach the platform,so he jumps toward it,and shoots a ray from his belly toward the platform. but oh no! the ray misses and yet half of the character's body will pass through the platform. i thought of perhaps shooting 5 rays(first on the top of the character,second in the middle,third in the bottom,forth in the right side of the character and fifth in the left side of the character) but that just sounds expansive(not to mention this problem could still occur with small platforms). so,how do i handle this like a pro?
Advertisement
Quote:so,how do i handle this like a pro?
The easy answer is, 'use an existing physics engine'.

If you want to do it yourself though, your intuition that casting multiple rays is *not* the way to do it is correct. Instead, represent the objects in the game using single shapes with volume (or area, in 2-d). For example, for the player, you could use an axis-aligned box. The problem then reduces to a moving box vs. box test, which is pretty well documented online and elsewhere (terms you can search for include 'AABB SAT', 'box SAT', and 'separating axis test').
Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:so,how do i handle this like a pro?
The easy answer is, 'use an existing physics engine'.

If you want to do it yourself though, your intuition that casting multiple rays is *not* the way to do it is correct. Instead, represent the objects in the game using single shapes with volume (or area, in 2-d). For example, for the player, you could use an axis-aligned box. The problem then reduces to a moving box vs. box test, which is pretty well documented online and elsewhere (terms you can search for include 'AABB SAT', 'box SAT', and 'separating axis test').

i wonder why i didnt figure it myself... i should probably look for such documents before i ask this but,if in frame 1 the player does not collide with the platform,while in frame 2 part of the player will be inside the platform,how can i know from which side of the platform the player came?
Quote:if in frame 1 the player does not collide with the platform,while in frame 2 part of the player will be inside the platform,how can i know from which side of the platform the player came?
There are basically two different kinds of tests you can perform: discrete, and continuous.

A discrete test just looks at the current configuration of the two objects, with no regard for their motion over time. With this method, you can 'guess' as to where the collision occurred by computing the minimum translational vector that will resolve the intersection. This will work fine for many cases, but if the ratio of an object's speed to its size is high, you might get incorrect results, or miss collisions altogether.

A continuous test, on the other hand, takes the motion of the objects into account (usually, only constant linear velocity is considered). A continuous test can return the exact time of intersection, and in many cases can also return additional information such as the point(s) of intersection and the collision normal.

Which method to use is basically up to you.
Quote:if in frame 1 the player does not collide with the platform,while in frame 2 part of the player will be inside the platform,how can i know from which side of the platform the player came?
There are basically two different kinds of tests you can perform: discrete, and continuous.

A discrete test just looks at the current configuration of the two objects, with no regard for their motion over time. With this method, you can 'guess' as to where the collision occurred by computing the minimum translational vector that will resolve the intersection. This will work fine for many cases, but if the ratio of an object's speed to its size is high, you might get incorrect results, or miss collisions altogether.

A continuous test, on the other hand, takes the motion of the objects into account (usually, only constant linear velocity is considered). A continuous test can return the exact time of intersection, and in many cases can also return additional information such as the point(s) of intersection and the collision normal.

Which method to use is basically up to you.

the second one sounds like i'll need to use math that is not simple,so i guess i'll have to try the first one.
eh... only way i can think of finding which side is the one i collide with is by using rays,which returns me to the problem that i mentioned when i created this thread...
Quote:eh... only way i can think of finding which side is the one i collide with is by using rays,which returns me to the problem that i mentioned when i created this thread...
Doing some research will clear that up. Try searching both the forum archives and the internet in general using some of the terms I mentioned previously; also, check out the GDNet articles section, as there is some relevant info contained therein. If after that you still have questions, post back and someone should be able to help.
Quote:eh... only way i can think of finding which side is the one i collide with is by using rays,which returns me to the problem that i mentioned when i created this thread...
Doing some research will clear that up. Try searching both the forum archives and the internet in general using some of the terms I mentioned previously; also, check out the GDNet articles section, as there is some relevant info contained therein. If after that you still have questions, post back and someone should be able to help.

ok then,thanks :)
Actually, what you are trying to do is called "pixel perfect" collision, you are just checking a simple "point" against your world; that is only helpfull when doing bullets collisions.

If you are doing an old fashioned 2d games, so your character and world are built using sprites, then you have to use "tiles collision"; if you are doing a 3d game then instead using point versus triangles, use Boxes agains boxes, or sphere again boxes or spheres, that mean enclose your character and your plataform gometry into bound primitives like boxes or spheres.

for example take a look at this article: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1026.asp
Quote:Actually, what you are trying to do is called "pixel perfect" collision
I believe that is incorrect; there's nothing in the OP's post that suggests he's looking for pixel-perfect collision detection (for one thing, he specified that the game is in 3-d).

Also, the article you linked to is, I believe, somewhat outdated, and may even have some errors in it. If you want to learn about the 'swept ellipsoid' approach, try this paper instead.
well, i managed to find out how to check which side is the side i collide with,yet not get the intersection point.
pretty much i am suppoused to take the dot product of each side's normal and the velocity,and check which one is closest to -1. the one that is closest to it is the side where the collision happens. but that still leaves me without an intersection point,and i cant use a ray since it could miss...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement