Sign in to follow this  

Need Reviews.

This topic is 2816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've made a small little Breakout Clone called Break-It-Down, using Pygame and PGU : http://sourceforge.net/projects/break-it-down/ It would be great if I could get some advice from people. How I could improve my game, any bugs that you find, etc. Currently the high score thing is not working, so if you geta high score at the end, just press 1 to go to the next screen or esc to quit. However, I' m in a confused state right now. I'm a beginner, and have been programming games for about an year, and am at a position where I can make simple arcade 2d games using a level editor. My question is where should I go next? How do I improve my skills further? I was thinking of making a Pacman clone after this, since none of my games yet have any AI. Is there a tool (like level editor) that I should start using, which will aid me in making games? And also, I haven't really used any game engine so far, is it time that I start using engines instead of starting from scratch? Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks. P.S. : Also, if you are an amateur like me, and would like to collaborate on some games, let me know, since I have been working alone on games so far.

After I press enter (as prompted by the first screen), this happens:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "game.py", line 16, in <module>
which_screen = kernel.menu_screen()
File "/home/tori/junk/break-it-down/v 0.1/src/kernel.py", line 98, in menu_screen
app = gui.App(width = 300, height = 300)
File "/home/tori/junk/break-it-down/v 0.1/src/pgu/gui/app.py", line 43, in __init__
theme = Theme()
File "/home/tori/junk/break-it-down/v 0.1/src/pgu/gui/theme.py", line 47, in __init__
self._preload(dirs)
File "/home/tori/junk/break-it-down/v 0.1/src/pgu/gui/theme.py", line 55, in _preload
self._load(d)
File "/home/tori/junk/break-it-down/v 0.1/src/pgu/gui/theme.py", line 78, in _load
raise 'could not find theme '+name
TypeError: exceptions must be old-style classes or derived from BaseException, not str

dev-lang/python-2.6.5 (doesn't even start on python 2.5 or 3.1)
dev-python/pygame-1.9.1
dev-python/pgu-0.12.3

Maybe a more comprehensive dependency list (with package versions) would help.

Beather, use svn. The files are out there :]

Don't know, I only use python (2.6), pygame(1.8.1) and pgu 0.12.3. I tried looking at those files, but got nothing. BTW, now the high score thing is done, its only that you need to enter your name at the command line :D

This topic is 2816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.