Sign in to follow this  
adeny

[C++] Programming team?

Good evening, I am new to these forums, so please don't shoot me if this is in the wrong section, or somehow against policy, as I couldn't find anything related skimming the FAQ. What I would like to ask is if it would be possible to recruit for a small team of programmers around my own level, as I think it would make the learning-experience a hell of a lot easier. It would be a pretty lax group, mainly there to cooperate on difficult tasks, help eachother out when we get stuck, and to increase productivity. I find myself starting a LOT more projects that I finish, due to mainly lack of motivation, but I feel that a small group would definately help with this aswell. I think it would speed up the process alot. First of all I would like to hear your take on this, is it beneficial? More fun? Surely there must be a lot of people here with this kind of experience. Please let me know if you think this is a good idea or not. And if this isn't against site policy, I guess I'm going to use this as a recruting thread, hah. So leave a note. As for where the group would start, difficulty-wise, I guess with some pretty basic 2D sprite-based games, then see from there. Language would definately be C++, as for graphics API my personal preference is DarkGDK, but as this would be for educational purposes, we could really go with anything.

Yes its possible, and a good idea. If you're up for managing a small team of programmers you can learn a lot and finish your project a lot faster(and depending on the experience of the participants you can avoid a lot of common beginner mistakes, as some of them may have already run into such pitfalls)

I believe it helps to stop people from giving up, people tend to want to keep working on the project if others are counting on them.

As far as recruiting goes, their is a specific sub forum for recruiting that you can use to get members for your group.

Here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8

Make sure you read the sticky before you make your post though.

I've done group work like this with other game enthusiasts from my university and so long as you can keep your group together then you will learn a lot and if you keep things casual then it should be fun.

Good luck!

Not sure what your location or education level is, but you might want to post around your school if you're in school or around universities in general. I think you'd be surprised how many university students want something to do. University students come with risks, but having any team is better than no team.

You might also check your area for IGDA/Game Development groups.

Beginner groups don't work out. Enthusiasm is not a replacement for competence. Beginners who know what they are doing will be focused on learning on their own.

Those with experience will also only commit to projects that are meaningful. A "let's gather and then just build stuff" group doesn't work out. If you don't have clear goals and clear people with competence and drive to lead, you just get a bunch of people with some level of competence.

Valuable resources are competence, time, and motivation. If you form a group on the basis that all three are amply available, just waiting for someone's request, you will be disappointed.