Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy6996

Best way to implement frame interpolation w\ the MD2 format?

Jeremy6996    120
Alright. I have got my MD2 models loading and animating at a fair speed. However, I need to rebuild the vertex-buffer every time I render because of interpolation. So, what I need to do is implement the interpolation in the shader I'm using. I'm trying to think of the most efficient way of doing this. I was thinking I could do this by creating my own vertex, and have it contain two vectors which are to be interpolated, and then have the interpolation ratio set on render-time. This way I won't need to rebuild the vertex buffer. The problem I see with this though is I would need to change shader techniques half-way through rendering(and I'm not sure how efficient this is).

Somebody might have a better solution for this, but I'll just throw out some ideas since nobody else has responded. I attempted to do exactly this at one point but couldn't come up with a good solution so I just decided it was time to just move on from MD2 models.

What you could do is each time the frames you're interpolating change, create a new vertex buffer with vertices that have the positions from both frames stored per vertex. Then you can just upload the interpolation percentage as a shader uniform and interpolate each vertex accordingly. This just pushes the step of rebuilding the vertex buffer out to once every N frames rather than every frame so I guess it's not ideal.

I know you can also do texture lookups in the vertex shader in shader model 3.0, but I've never worked with this personally. If you did that then I suppose you could pack all your keyframes into a texture and then you'd never have to rebuild the vertex buffer.

Jeremy6996    120
Quote:
Original post by My_Mind_Is_Going
Somebody might have a better solution for this, but I'll just throw out some ideas since nobody else has responded. I attempted to do exactly this at one point but couldn't come up with a good solution so I just decided it was time to just move on from MD2 models.

What you could do is each time the frames you're interpolating change, create a new vertex buffer with vertices that have the positions from both frames stored per vertex. Then you can just upload the interpolation percentage as a shader uniform and interpolate each vertex accordingly. This just pushes the step of rebuilding the vertex buffer out to once every N frames rather than every frame so I guess it's not ideal.

I know you can also do texture lookups in the vertex shader in shader model 3.0, but I've never worked with this personally. If you did that then I suppose you could pack all your keyframes into a texture and then you'd never have to rebuild the vertex buffer.

Thank you for you're reply! It's very well appreciated.

What I've decided to do, is create a vertexbuffer for each frame(as I've been told writing to even dynamic vertex buffers on the Xbox60(my target console) is fairly slow. And I won't be having a billion objects rendering at once, so video memory isn't a huge concearn). Then for interpolation create two vertex streams, load the first with frame1, the second with frame2, and have the vertex-shader perform the interpolation. This will significantly increase the performance. Instead of vertex buffers being built 60 times a second. They'll be built once, and passed to the vertex shader to handle interpolation.

This leads me on two a second questions though, lol:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=566713