Is C# a good game language?

Started by
4 comments, last by pothb 14 years ago
Well, I am thinking about learning C# and I was wondering if it was good for game development. And if it is I also want to know if there are any good tutorials or books that can give me a good grasp of the language and how to apply it into a game.
Advertisement
It's still relatively new, but SlimDX and XNA is well done. You probably won't have as much options like you would with C/C++ but it's as good as any.

Try 3DBuzz video tutorials. They do a good job of explaining things, at least I think so. I'm not a great programmer or anything, so feel free to take my word with salt... maybe alot of salt.
There's also OpenTK, if you want Mono-Compatibility / OpenGL.
The answer is: It depends.

What are you planning to do with said knowledge? If you're looking to get into the industry and a programmer at a large company, then no, it's probably not going to help you unless you learn it fast then move on to C++ and become good at that.

If you are planning to develop your own games as a hobby or indie, then C# is damn good. You have three really great options, either XNA, SlimDX or Unity.

I love Unity!
Take a look here.
Quote:Original post by BLiTZWiNG
The answer is: It depends.

What are you planning to do with said knowledge? If you're looking to get into the industry and a programmer at a large company, then no, it's probably not going to help you unless you learn it fast then move on to C++ and become good at that.

If you are planning to develop your own games as a hobby or indie, then C# is damn good. You have three really great options, either XNA, SlimDX or Unity.

I love Unity!

That's not neccessarily true. C# is supposed to be very good for creating tools. I'm sure they have people who can do both, but it doesn't rule it out completely.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement