[web] Tell me what you think of my site... so far...

Started by
7 comments, last by JackOfAllTrades 14 years ago
I am making a site for indie game developers, basically the idea is to offer a framework to assist in the development process. Users can submit projects as either public or private, if the project is public assets can be submitted by any user and are rated for inclusion into the game, the top 50 contributers are allowed to download a beta version of the game which is automatically assembled by the site and ready for download. If the project is private then the user who created it can assign a team or teams to the project, teams are managed by a leader who can assign tasks to the users and generally manage the the team and project. Also private are able to use custom built engines and file formats. I mainly have the UI, forums and messaging system working, I still need to work on the profile page, project page and the team management page but I want some feedback about what I've done so far. It would be very helpful if some of you could create an account and post on the forums, send messages, generally test the site and give me some feed back on anythings which you believe would improve the site. Without further ado I present my site.
Advertisement
Without creating an account or logging in I immediately see one thing: It doesn't work in 1024x768. With the popularity of netbooks these days, lower resolutions are more popular than you'd expect.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Quote:Original post by Sander
Without creating an account or logging in I immediately see one thing: It doesn't work in 1024x768. With the popularity of netbooks these days, lower resolutions are more popular than you'd expect.

What do you mean it does not work? I think I should make the width a bit lower to account for the scroll bar but other than that it works fine on my computer...

EDIT: Alright I fixed it, is that what you were talking about?

[Edited by - SteveDeFacto on April 4, 2010 8:53:12 AM]
Almost. On my 1024x768 MaxOSX running Firefox 3.6.x the "Forums" menu link displays all the way to the left, below the "Store" link. Because it's hiding behind the "New Projects" heading I cannot click on it.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Almost. On my 1024x768 MaxOSX running Firefox 3.6.x the "Forums" menu link displays all the way to the left, below the "Store" link. Because it's hiding behind the "New Projects" heading I cannot click on it.

I can't recreate this problem, if I had to guess I would say it is the mac version of firefox which is not displaying the DIVs properly. Not much I can do about it since I do not own a mac...
I don't think it's a div rendering issue. More likely a font difference. OSX has different fonts and OSX's fonts tend to render a bit wider than e.g. Windows' fonts. I bet if you make your window a tad smaller than 1024px you'd see the problem.

<hr />

what development tools did you use to make your site?
Quote:Original post by Awoken
what development tools did you use to make your site?

Windows Notepad! [smile]
I don't think it's a div rendering issue. More likely a font difference. OSX has different fonts and OSX's fonts tend to render a bit wider than e.g. Windows' fonts. I bet if you make your window a tad smaller than 1024px you'd see the problem.

I've already tried resizing the window and the resolution of my desktop, I don't see any problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement