Sign in to follow this  

[web] Web-based games - is the market saturated?

This topic is 2814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey. I'm thinking of starting a website with web-based games. The games would made from scratch by me. I have a few questions about this; First of all, do you think it is worth it? Is there any money to be made or is the market saturated? I'm planning on using new technology such as html5/canvas (and perhaps webgl some day?), is this a good/bad idea?

is the market saturated? some ways yes some ways no. Web games aren't exactly mmorpgs that are played one at a time. Theres plenty of diversity if you really look. but it depends on the market and what users are looking for.

sound advice eh? The web is a fickle beast that can't just be made to do what you want. Since users drive the web and you can't have a successful game without users, i would consider taking time to look around and find what these players on the web games want.

html5/canvas doesn't work on ie7/8 and thats half of your market right there! sadly...

Quote:
Original post by unknownhero
html5/canvas doesn't work on ie7/8 and thats half of your market right there! sadly...

Then again, the market is for those who anticipate and go with change. Not those who follow it. You could loose half the market now and grab it back when IE9 comes out.

Canvas, WebGL, go nuts. You may bet on the wrong horse and miss out. But if you wait then there will be saturation again by the time you release and you will loose out for sure.

The web's a fickle beast for sure...

This topic is 2814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.