Compressing data before sending

Started by
18 comments, last by Sirisian 14 years ago
General compression (zlib, lzma, etc) on packets should be a last resort. Usually, the results are quite disappointing, and you will be adding a lot of overhead to your networking (anywhere from 2x to 20x or more overhead per byte sent). There is nothing wrong with compressing specific things known to compress decently, such as verbose messages (e.g. a long quest description, pages of a book, etc), but you don't want to just mass-compress everything over the network.

First, figure out what exactly is taking so much bandwidth. Add an aggregate counter to your server to keep track of how much data is sent per each packet ID, then start working on the most expensive stuff. Often times, excessive bandwidth can be found in:

1. Possible client-side caching. Don't send full game messages (e.g. "You got # gold") to the client. Instead, store this all on the client, and just send the unique ID of the game message and the parameters, and let the client take care of the rest.

2. Sending too much of the same thing. If you are sending the new position of entities every tick (and aren't using UDP with the intention of a low-latency game like a FPS), your bandwidth will definitely take a big hit.

3. Lack of delta updates. If a single stat changes, don't send the new value for all the stats. If a character's name or sprite changes, don't send every bit of data to recreate them. Send updates on what has changed, nothing more. Though don't get carried away with this one before profiling, as it can make maintenance much more difficult.

4. Too many bits. If you have tile-based maps < 255x255, don't send a 32-bit integer as the position. If you have a bunch of bools, don't send them each as a byte. Though again, don't go overboard with this, as it puts some expansion limitations on you. A good bit stream library can be really helpful here.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Advertisement
Quake3 used Huffman encoding to compress their final packets. I don't know if it is a dynamic or static table though.

But yeah, in general, that sort of compression should be a last resort. If you send too much data, then the problem is elsewhere, and you should look at minimising the transmission. Compressing packets is more like an optimisation rather than a solution to a problem.

There are schemes such as delta-encoding that can work for you as well. But your best saving will be in managing the network tick and prioritise entity updates.

Everything is better with Metal.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really intend to decrease the amount of data that is transferred, but you don't need to be Einstein to figure that out. What I was wondering was rather if it is smart to have the server responding by a certain time interval rather than having it respond as soon as it gets a request. As some of you has already pointed out the TCP headers will take a lesser portion of the total bandwidth usage if the data is bunched together. Should this be the rule for all communication or just some of it?

At the moment I transfer responses for certain requests instantly (I still bunch all data needed for a certain request together before sending), but updates which tells what other units are doing, and stuff like that, are sent by a certain time interval so that the data can be bunched together.

And about the time interval, I know that 25 ms is kind of low, but at the moment I am running the whole game at higher speed, thus making the simplest forms of bugs appearing faster. I agree that 100 ms is more like a realistic time interval.
Quote:Original post by Exustio
What I was wondering was rather if it is smart to have the server responding by a certain time interval rather than having it respond as soon as it gets a request. As some of you has already pointed out the TCP headers will take a lesser portion of the total bandwidth usage if the data is bunched together. Should this be the rule for all communication or just some of it?

All communication. The only situation where a packet should be sent immediately is for calculating latency. (Then again game loop latency is often more important. That is the time between client input and the next update tick on the server).

Queue up data and design it so that your network outgoing packets can be separated from your server update. For instance, you might update your game at 30 updates/sec but your packets get sent out 5 to 10 packets/sec depending on the player (throttling).

I know that 25 ms is kind of low

Wrong use of terminology. 25 ms represents a frequency in this case (25 ms between an action). So 25 ms is a high frequency (40 updates/sec) where as 100 ms is a lower frequency (10 updates/sec).
At the moment I transfer responses for certain requests instantly (I still bunch all data needed for a certain request together before sending)

That's fine.
Quote:, but updates which tells what other units are doing, and stuff like that, are sent by a certain time interval so that the data can be bunched together.

That's not. Send this stuff less often, and your problem will be solved. Also reduce the area of interest so that a player is only notified of changes to relevant units.

Quote:And about the time interval, I know that 25 ms is kind of low, but at the moment I am running the whole game at higher speed, thus making the simplest forms of bugs appearing faster. I agree that 100 ms is more like a realistic time interval.

If getting a bug to appear 75ms sooner is beneficial to you, then you're doing something wrong. What sort of bugs require this?

Quote:Original post by Spodi
General compression (zlib, lzma, etc) on packets should be a last resort. Usually, the results are quite disappointing, and you will be adding a lot of overhead to your networking (anywhere from 2x to 20x or more overhead per byte sent). There is nothing wrong with compressing specific things known to compress decently, such as verbose messages (e.g. a long quest description, pages of a book, etc), but you don't want to just mass-compress everything over the network.

I find compressing everything works well in what I'm working on, but can imagine that it wouldn't work well if you have a lot of small ( < 1000 bytes) packets being processed.

Brian Wood
http://webEbenezer.net
(651) 251-9384
Quote: if you have a lot of small ( < 1000 bytes) packets

A 1000 byte packet is *huge* for games.

If your entire upstream is 8 kB/sec, which should include voice chat, that would mean you could only send 8 packets/second.

Both Sony and Microsoft put the upstream "sweet spot" (99% coverage) at 8 kB/sec, btw.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Quote: if you have a lot of small ( < 1000 bytes) packets

A 1000 byte packet is *huge* for games.

I guess that explains why compression isn't as important in games as it is in other areas. If there's not enough data to work with, the results of compression aren't as rewarding.

Brian Wood
The way I like to view it is that games apply compression at a much higher (semantic) level. Entropy coding style compression (be it lzw, huffman, or something else) can help some (say, 30%?) but the big gains (thousands of percent) come from the application layer.

After all, a game is nothing more than a really big, advanced query that runs 60 times per second :-)

"select pixel from .... where input=..." :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
oh yeah I forgot, if you're interested in quick theory you could read this article. The codes kind of verbose so it's rather easy to understand also.

If you have an example of what you're sending we could give more precise strategies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement