Sign in to follow this  

Preserving 1:Many Relationships in DB

This topic is 2820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, (Using MS SQL 2008, however this is more of a database design question whose answer will mostly transcend particular RDBMS implementations) I am trying to figure out what "best practices" might dictate in this given situation... I'm trying to preserve (store) a 1:many relationship between records in two different tables. Let's pretend I'm writing an automotive-oriented software program, and in the database I'll have two tables, [cars] and [drivers]. The [cars] table contains all sort of information about the vehicle itself, whereas the [drivers] table contains info regarding the different drivers available to the system (personal info, etc.). For the sake of this example, let's also pretend there is a 1:many relationship between cars and drivers, i.e., 1 car can be driven by 1+ drivers, but each driver may only be assigned to 1 car. The [cars] table might look like this: [cars].[car_id] --> the unique ID (primary key, auto-inc, etc.) [cars].[car_year] --> year car was made [cars].[driver_ids] --> an NVARCHAR(MAX) value comma-delimiting the unique IDs of all the drivers assigned to the car The [drivers] table might look like this: [drivers].[driver_id] --> primary key auto integer ID [drivers].[driver_first_name] [drivers].[driver_last_name] And so, one particular car record might have the following field values: [cars].[car_id] = 1 [cars].[car_year] = 2005 [cars].[driver_ids] = "1,3,6,7" ...Where it is implied that drivers with [drivers].[driver_id] of 1, 3, 6 and 7 are all "mapped" (assigned) to this particular car record. If I were to set things up this way, with the 1:many relationship being stored in the form of a string of comma-delimited IDs, then I will also need to build a custom function that might be called IS_IN_SET(int, nvarchar(max)), where it would return TRUE or FALSE if a given integral value can be found inside the numerified string: Ex: IS_IN_SET(110, "34,110,56,7,40") would return TRUE IS_IN_SET(111, "34,110,56,7,40") would return FALSE This has *got* to be a common problem database engineers run into, and there *must* be a more eloquent and sophisticated way of doing this. Please don't read too far into the cars/drivers example, I'm simply trying to illustrate a situation where records in Table A need to each keep references to 1 or more other records over in Table B. Thanks for any and all input/suggestions! ~ply

There is definitely a better way! Create a third table with columns car_id and driver_id. Depending on your DBMS, you should define car_id and driver_id as foreign keys - I'm fairly sure MSSQL supports this. Your SQL for selecting all cars and the drivers associated with them (without using JOIN syntax) would be something like:

SELECT * FROM cars, drivers, cars_and_drivers WHERE cars.car_id=cars_and_drivers.car_id AND cars_and_drivers.driver_id=drivers.driver_id

As long as you define your keys properly, this should be very efficient.

What MNicholson described was a many-many relationship, so any number of cars can have any number of drivers.

For a 1-many relationship is becomes slightly simpler. From you example for every car there is many drivers.

You had the right idea driver_ids field however you made the mistake of putting it on the wrong table. Since each driver can only have 1 car, then you can add car_id to the drivers table.

The [cars] table might look like this:
[cars].[car_id] --> the unique ID (primary key, auto-inc, etc.)
[cars].[car_year] --> year car was made

The [drivers] table might look like this:
[drivers].[driver_id] --> primary key auto integer ID
[drivers].[driver_first_name]
[drivers].[driver_last_name]
[drivers].[car_id]

And so, one particular car record might have the following field values:
[cars].[car_id] = 1
[cars].[car_year] = 2005

[drivers].[driver_id] = 1
[drivers].[driver_first_name] = driver
[drivers].[driver_last_name] = 1
[drivers].[car_id] = 1

[drivers].[driver_id] = 2
[drivers].[driver_last_name] = 2
[drivers].[car_id] = 2

[drivers].[driver_id] = 3
[drivers].[driver_last_name] = 3
[drivers].[car_id] = 1

In this example "driver 1" and "driver 3" both drive "car 1" while "driver 2" drives "car 2"

You've got it backwards. Your driver should have a car_id field. Your car record will not have any sort of information about the specific driver.

SELECT * FROM CAR, DRIVER
WHERE CAR.ID = DRIVER.CAR_ID AND CAR.ID = @CarId

This topic is 2820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.