FPS in 3D???

Started by
17 comments, last by jbadams 14 years ago
Quote:Original post by Steve132
It would be really nice if nvidia offered an api to control their 3D vision applications.
They do :P
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
Quote:Original post by Steve132
It would be really nice if nvidia offered an api to control their 3D vision applications.
They do :P

Do they? Last I checked it was no such luck. About 5 years ago when the old drivers supported stereo shutter glasses they did, and supported DX/GL. Now that they've made the whole system proprietary (nv glasses+certified monitors only), they also removed GL support and deprecated the api (which was by request only btw). Please send me a link to this api you say exists, because it would be very useful to me at my current job.
Yeah, so I just checked again in case I missed something, and there is no mention of an api anywhere on nvidia's website, and the forums are full of developers trying to figure out how to control it.

so, I must be missing something, but I'm convinced an api doesn't exist.
There's the NVIDIA GeForce 3D Stereo Technology for Developers page, and the NVAPI package, which exposes the driver's stereo API.
Pretty much any 3D game can be easily be rendered in stereoscopic, Nvidia's system is simple proof of this.

Basically all that needs to happen is for people to get systems capable of displaying in stereoscopic, and everyone will be doing the little tweaks to get it working fine. Expect stereoscopic games to be big in 2011, since the display technology is coming out now.

Much like Avatar, it looks good in 2D or stereoscopic with very little change. Much Like Avatar it takes more GPU power to render stereoscopic.

Unlike Avatar implementing it will be cheap, and not need millions of $ in development. It will also have a small % people actually seeing it in stereoscopic until the hardware becomes much cheaper, unlike the cinema where you could wear $1 disposables.

Just remember that the only special thing Nvidia are doing is selling hardware, the software side is implemented in both ATI and NVIDIA, its just a matter of display technology.
I tried the Nvidia 3D demo that I got with my new 250, it didn't come with glasses so I used an old pair of red/blue glasses. Works pretty good, game is in black and white but is in 3D. Not the best 3D effect, after seeing avatar especially, however it was pretty good and well worth trying, especially for the long distance renders of the mountain terrain in just cause 2. It's a subtle difference switching from 2D to 3D in a lot of ways, and it does chop your frame rate in 2, but it feels more natural and appears to interact with my depth sensitive perception a lot more efficiently. If only it wasn't blurry and in black and white, however I'm looking forward to 3D displays as being a very, very huge event, although like any new technology they will take a while to catch on and have serious bugs/flaws at first.

It will also require a subtle adjustment of gaming skills; for someone used to always looking at 2D reps of 3D items in photos and on screens and on other forms of paper this will be jarring, however people who do a lot of "real" stuff and are used to focusing on things far off in 3D (like me!) should find it very awesome in an amazing way.

If they could get a better FOV that would be nice too, maybe wrap it around to cover periphs, about 250 degrees of circular coverage in 3D would be cool, or even 360 degree 3D effects, so you could turn your head in need for speed and see a car behind you. This might require much cooler technology however, such as holographic lasers, HMDs, or something not yet thought of.
*-----------------------sig------------Visit my web site (Free source code and games!) @ http://SpaceRacer2025.blogspot.com--------------------------------------*
Quote:Original post by aersixb9
If they could get a better FOV that would be nice too, maybe wrap it around to cover periphs, about 250 degrees of circular coverage in 3D would be cool, or even 360 degree 3D effects, so you could turn your head in need for speed and see a car behind you.

"If they could get a better FOV that would be nice too, maybe wrap it around to cover periphs, about 250 degrees of circular coverage in 3D would be cool, or even 360 degree 3D effects, so you could turn your head in need for speed and see a car behind you. "

This is exactly the reason that the ATI Cards support Eyefinity. I was reading an article and it goes something like this:

The chief architect (or something) wants to create a "Holodeck", and of course thats not happening any time soon, but he knows that you need about 24 screens to get 180 degree FOV, (Basically a huge half circle room filled with monitors), this set up is used in some uni's etc.

So create a Secret Group within ATI to specifically develop Eyefinity a generation before Nvidia - he figures if he can't do holodecks today, by getting gpu's to support 6 monitors each he is putting the world on the right track.

Long story short- Ati Kicks Nvidia's ass this gen, Holodeck support is coming - and is actively being worked on, and if you want a really big FOV, stick 6 HD screens together (in a horizontal line) and muck around with the config.

Note: Wait until 3D displays are readily available for support - I expect around this time next year it will be supported from the box with little to no tweaking for some games at least.

P.S. I think it was in black and white because of your mode, proper (read several hundred dollar Nvidia glasses) Nvidia 3D is in color.
I've got 360º (horizontal) FPS gaming on my
">home PC =D

I use SoftTH to link up 3 monitors into a big one to get peripheral vision (like EyeFinity, but older tech), and a TrackIR5 to track head movements. You keep your eyes fixed in the center of the main screen, but turn your head slightly to rotate the view. I've got it calibrated so that that turning my head as far as I can while still comfortably resting my eyes on the middle screen (probably about 30º) results in a 180º in-game rotation, allowing you to look back over your shoulder ;)
See also: Augmented Reality. Interesting stuff.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement