Video Game College or Normal College

Started by
38 comments, last by bobbydriggs 14 years ago
Hi im currently in Grade11 and im looking for colleges to enroll in, to further continue my education in video game development. I was wondering if i should take a normal college first and then after i earn my degree go to a specialized video game development and design college. Or right after high school take the Specialized Video game and development course. I am not to sure about what to do at this point. Any help would be grateful thanks. Also on a side note im not very good in math, But i do excel in my computer science class and my computer art/animation courses. This is why im searching for a college
Advertisement
I think the general consensus is normal college and get a BS in computer science (assuming you want to be a programmer). The "problem" with video game specific is that it pigeon holes you un-necessarily into games. i.e. you're just as likely to get hired with a standard BS (arguably more likely) but with a standard BS you also have the flexibility to move to any industry and be a programmer in the event you decide you hate working in games (which happens often)

-me
I'm going to move this over to our new Breaking into the Games Industry forum where I think you'll get better help.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
I'm going to move this over to our new Breaking into the Games Industry forum where I think you'll get better help.

oooh ok thanks

Oh and about that math, my experience may help you a bit:

I'm one of those folks that's fine with logic but pretty lousy at math, and that made for a lot of missed opportunities when I worked in games. If I could give any advice to someone in a similar boat I'd say do everything you can to learn it-- get tutors, play math-oriented computer games, give yourself little projects that teach a concept, even seek out books that might teach it in an unconventional style-- anything you can do to get past this barrier. I'm not sure if it's the same for you as it is for me but I can't seem to retain math when it's taught in a dry, abstract fashion (which seems to be the traditional method). You may find math easier to take in if you can find a way to make it relevant to the things you care about or want to do.

FWIW
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Theo,
View Forum FAQ (above)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Wavinator
Oh and about that math, my experience may help you a bit:

I'm one of those folks that's fine with logic but pretty lousy at math, and that made for a lot of missed opportunities when I worked in games. If I could give any advice to someone in a similar boat I'd say do everything you can to learn it-- get tutors, play math-oriented computer games, give yourself little projects that teach a concept, even seek out books that might teach it in an unconventional style-- anything you can do to get past this barrier. I'm not sure if it's the same for you as it is for me but I can't seem to retain math when it's taught in a dry, abstract fashion (which seems to be the traditional method). You may find math easier to take in if you can find a way to make it relevant to the things you care about or want to do.

FWIW

Yea i think that is my problem exactly i just cant learn math in a traditional way, just something about it that makes me forget and make mistakes. If you dont mind may i ask what you missed out on because you weren't to good at math? im just interested to know if im headed in the same direction as you.
I've been to a regular college(s) and I'm currently in a game specific college (Full Sail). Having a strong regular computer science background makes learning the game development stuff much easier IMHO. Plus schools like this really skimp on the math, so you'll come out of a regular college much more well rounded. That said if you want to learn how to program and get your feet wet right away then a school like Full Sail might be more your style. Getting a degree in less than two years is a huge plus, but you're not going to get the depth you'd get at other schools.
Quote:Original post by Dwiff
I've been to a regular college(s) and I'm currently in a game specific college (Full Sail). Having a strong regular computer science background makes learning the game development stuff much easier IMHO. Plus schools like this really skimp on the math, so you'll come out of a regular college much more well rounded. That said if you want to learn how to program and get your feet wet right away then a school like Full Sail might be more your style. Getting a degree in less than two years is a huge plus, but you're not going to get the depth you'd get at other schools.

So what would you recommend? i really feel that i will stick with game industry so being well rounded isent really a big worry for me. And like you said is it better if i get my " Feet wet ", and go right away to game design and development school and getting my degree in less than two years, does it increase my chances of getting employed?. Rather than just going to a normal college and getting a degree there?
Theo,
I repeat my recommendation that you View Forum FAQ (above).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement