.GFX Files

Started by
3 comments, last by rommel84 14 years ago
Hey guys whats going on. I have a question I would like to ask. I did a search of the forum but couldn't find much info so here I am with a new thread. I was wondering if anybody knows how to open and view .gfx files. I've looked around and browsed various tools but none of them can open those files. I've extraced the files from an mmorpg I am currentely playing and if those files contain actual graphics and effects it would be nice to see them. I've tried numerous programs and I belive there was something about a line I have to add into my registry to view those files but I lost the link since I viewed so many pages in the past two days on .gfx files. Can anybody point me into the right direction. Thanks.
Advertisement
First off, file extensions are a windows only convention that
a) doesn't have to be followed on all platforms
b) doesn't have to be followed on windows in all cases
c) due to only having 3 letters, means the overlap of formats to extensions is very high. .gfx could be from dozens of sources.

You are better off looking at the file headers. The linux command "file" for instance will attempt to read the header and tell you the program associated with that header.

There are 3 major possibilities:
1) .gfx files are an already available format, you just need to find the viewer.
2) .gfx files are a format made by that company or their tools provider, and there is no viewer. You'd have to reverse engineer the format.
3) .gfx files are modified off another format (same format, different header tags. maybe encrypted. maybe compressed), and you'd have to reverse engineer the changes.

Knowing the game would help point you in a better direction for their mod community.

[Edited by - KulSeran on March 29, 2010 7:35:24 PM]
Thanks for the reply. Valid points aswell. Thing is I found programs that say they view .gfx files but when browsing through that format wasn't avaliable. Could be 2 and 3 on the possibilities. Game is:
http://redcliff.cubizone.com/

I could alternatively try to get another game to see what kind of results I get after unpacking the files.

Also is this legal? I would assume no.
Quote:Original post by rommel84
Also is this legal? I would assume no.

The legality depends on the license you agree to when you install the game. After looking at the website, probably not.

A quick search yielded this though:

The game is called Red Cliff. http://redcliff.cubizone.com/ After searching around pwpack seemed to work for it aswell.

So maybe that would work for you? Though you've probably already seen that, as your username is in the description for that dead link.

Aye I posted that thread yestrday :D After I am done with some stuff I'll try another game to see what comes up after the files are unpacked. I am just really curious about this type of stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement