can c-string's be created dynamicaly

Started by
17 comments, last by Zahlman 14 years ago
can I creat a c-string synamicaly since I dont know how much data will be entered. Is there a way to let the user enter a bunch of data and the read the size to creat a c-string?
Advertisement
I'm guessing english isn't your first language as you're from germany.

Could you try explaining your problem/question a little more in depth? It could make perfect sense to others, but I'm a little confused on what you're actually asking for.
In C++?
instead of

const int SIZE = 100;
char input[SIZE];

cout<<"Enter a string ";
cin.getline(input, SIZE);

I want the user to be able to input a string as long as they want then I creat the char to use it.

some thing like

char *input;

cin<< as much data as they want

input = new char(x.size)
Quote:Original post by phresnel
In C++?

I know I can use a string but I want to use a c-string
its easyer for me to minipulate a c-string then a string class
Quote:Original post by kingpinzs
In C++?

So easy that your code is bugfull and dangerous, open to many kinds of malicious attacks. Something that nobody should install on his machine.

Just use string and be done:

#include <iostream>#include <string>int main () {    std::string name;    std::getline(std::cin, name);}

For formatting strings, use stringstream:

#include <sstream>int main () {    std::stringstream ss;    ss << 42 << 0.5f << 0.5 << "hello world" << '\n';    std::cout << ss.str();}
Quote:I know I can use a string but I want to use a c-string
std::string is most likely exactly what you are looking for.

Can you give an example of how C strings are easier to manipulate? Almost any string-related operation I can think of is simpler, safer, and takes fewer lines of code with string than with a raw character array.

(I'm not saying there's never a reason to prefer C-style strings, but 'easier to manipulate'? That seems a bit odd.)
You can use fgets(stdin, ...) and dynamically reallocate the array you're reading into until you've read all input.
In C++?

So easy that your code is bugfull and dangerous, open to many kinds of malicious attacks. Something that nobody should install on his machine.

Just use string and be done:

}

First of all this is personal use and not to be used by any one else.
Its a consule app to learn how c++ works
Also in my c++ class in collage we had to do a full chapter on c-string and I was just wondering if they could be created dynamicaly

and third

char menu();int vowel_counter(char *);int consonants_counter(char *); void cls( HANDLE );int main(){	const int SIZE = 100;    char input[SIZE];	char menu_input;  cout<<"Enter a string "; cin.getline(input, SIZE);  menu_input = menu(); while(toupper(menu_input) != 'E') { 		if(toupper(menu_input) == 'A') 		  {				cout<<"The number of vowels in your string is "<<vowel_counter(input)<<endl;				cout<<"Press a key to continue"<<endl;					cin.ignore();					cin.get(); 		  } 		else if(toupper(menu_input) == 'B') 				{	 				cout<<"the number of consonants in your string is "<<consonants_counter(input)<<endl;					cout<<"Press a key to continue"<<endl;					cin.ignore();					cin.get(); 				}		else if(toupper(menu_input) == 'C')				{				  cout<<"The count of both consonants and vowels is "<<vowel_counter(input) +  consonants_counter(input)<<endl;				  cout<<"Press a key to continue"<<endl;				  cin.ignore();					cin.get();		        }		else if(toupper(menu_input) == 'D')		    {			    cout<<"Enter a string ";				cin.ignore(); 				cin.getline(input, SIZE);		    }          menu_input = menu(); } cout<<"Exiting the program "<<endl;system("PAUSE");return 1;}char menu(){	 HANDLE  hConsole;   hConsole = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);cls(hConsole);char input;    cout<<"\t\tCount Vowels, Consonants or Both."<<endl<<endl;	cout<<"\t A) Count the number of vowels in the string"<<endl		<<"\t B) Count the number of consonants in the string"<<endl		<<"\t C) Count both the vowels and consonants int the string"<<endl		<<"\t D) Enter another string"<<endl		<<"\t E) Exit the program"<<endl<<endl		<<"\t Enter a letter ";	cin>>input;return input;}int vowel_counter(char *cString){	char vowles[5]={'A', 'E','I', 'O', 'U'};	int counter = 0;	while(*cString != '\0')	{		for(int i = 0; i<5; i++)		{			if(toupper(*cString) == vowles)			{				counter++;			}		}		cString++;	}return counter;}int consonants_counter(char *cString){char consonants[21]={'B', 'C','D', 'F', 'G', 'H' ,'J','K','L','M','N','P','Q','R','S','T','V','W','X','Y','Z'};	int counter = 0;	while(*cString != '\0')	{		for(int i = 0; i<21; i++)		{			if(toupper(*cString) == consonants)			{				counter++;			}		}			cString++;	}return counter;}

This is how it is easyer to use
Its a consule app to learn how c++ works

This is how C works, to which C++ is mostly compatible.

Quote:Also in my c++ class in collage we had to do a full chapter on c-string and I was just wondering if they could be created dynamicaly

If this is a 101 class, than they shouldn't be teaching raw string manipulation.

But if you really need it, you should at least use the "n" versions from <cstring>. And the only way for doing what you want (that is, reading in an arbitrary sized string, i.e. where a SIZE-constant is conceptually wrong) is char-wise reading, and keeping the input characters in a container, until '\n' is read.

Quote:and third

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

This is how it is easyer to use

No, that's not easier.

Also, programs shouldn't halt once they are finished, especially not through spawning a new process.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement