Question about API's

Started by
3 comments, last by Tac-Tics 14 years ago
Yesterday I started learning SDL, I think is good choise, and after SDL I think I'll be learning OpenGL because it's simpler, but I will want to break into game industry in the future , and professional game programmers are using DirectX, so it is not bad to learn SDL and OpenGL and then DirectX, or I must learn DirectX after SDL?

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement
The Call of duty series, one of the most popular FPS game series ever, is made using OpenGl. You don't have to learn Directx to make games.

SDL is useful if you're considering creating games for more than one operating system. And since Directx is specific to windows for PCs, you should just learn Win32 if you're planning on using Direct3D instead of OpenGl. (And stay away from MFC)

Don't forget to rate ;)
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
First, consider your desired platform. If you want to run on Linux or OSX, you'll probably want to use OpenGL. Want to port to the XBox 360? Use DirectX or XNA. iPhone? OpenGL.

If all you want is to run on Windows, then the choice becomes a bit more personal. OpenGL and DirectX both work on Windows, and debating which is better is useless if you don't know either. So try learning a bit of OpenGL and a bit of DirectX and picking the one that feels more intuitive to you.

Learning the concepts behind 3D graphics is the hard part. Once you have that, it's just figuring out the function calls to make that happen.
Quote:Original post by kaktusas2598
... but I will want to break into game industry in the future ...

In that case, learn everything you can. Not just about SDL, OpenGL or DirectX, but about the algorithms and datastructures behind all this.
And make games. It doesn't matter what tools you use, but you only get better by coding ... and coding ... did i mention coding?
You seen one API, you seen 'em all.

While your mileage does vary between different platforms and libraries, once you understand the core concepts, it all works more or less the same. For computer graphics, these are things like the graphics pipeline, basic rasterizing, analytic geometry, light theory, etc.

I learned the basics of OpenGL from the tutorials on this site over 5 years ago. OpenGL has changed significantly since then (and for the better), but even though there are a bunch of new ways of doing things, they are all new ways of doing essentially the same things as before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement