Composing interfaces using other interfaces in C++

Started by
1 comment, last by jwezorek 14 years ago
I'm toying with a multiapi and maybe multiplatform rendering system abstraction and just have a C++ related query about interfaces. If I have the following abstract base classes:

class ISwapChain
{
public:
	virtual ~ISwapChain() {}
	virtual void Present() = 0;
};

class IRenderTarget
{
public:
	virtual ~IRenderTarget() {}
	virtual void SomeRenderTargetRelatedMethod() = 0;
};

class IRenderWindow : public ISwapChain, public IRenderTarget
{
public:
	virtual ~IRenderWindow() {}
	virtual void Resize(/* ... */);
	/* ... */
};
So I declare a D3D specific render window like this...

class D3DRenderWindow : public MyWin32Lib::Window /* Win32 specific window wrapper */, IRenderWindow
{
public:
	D3DRenderWindow() {}
	virtual ~D3DRenderWindow() {}

// ISwapChain stuff
	void Present() {}

// IRenderTarger stuff
	void Resize() {}
};
It all compiles and works but I've never really needed to composite "interfaces" together like this in C++ and I was wondering if it's a bad idea. The reason I want to do the above is so I can do something like this:
IRenderer* pRenderer = new Renderer(/* params including D3D, OGL, Software enum */);
IRenderWindow* = pRenderer->CreateWindow(/* some params */);
Note: I know the performance hit of using runtime polymorphism. This is just an experiment. My main framework uses templates to achieve a similar effect at compile time
Advertisement
In C++, that's perfectly legal to implement multiple interfaces, just like in any object oriented language.

And about the performance hit of polymorphism, I think that in most cases, you shouldn't care too much about it. Especially for functions that are called just a couple of times per frame.
The way you are using multiple inheritance is standard practice. You're inheriting from abstract base classes so it's just like implementing an interface in Java -- nothing wrong or weird about that.

[Edited by - jwezorek on March 30, 2010 3:45:38 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement