Sign in to follow this  
b0iNg123

Wii Question...

b0iNg123    101
Hey, This is my first post here... Just wondering if any of u guys have any idea as to what programming language to use to create a small 2d game for the Nintendo Wii. Some friends told me that I could use Flash. I know some AS 2.0 but I'm more comfortable with VC++....its more Object Oriented....IS it possible to use VC++ with the DirectX Aug 2009 SDK make the game, and then port it to Wii using an external software??

GWDev    286
Hi,

sorry to disappoint you, but to develop games for the Wii console, you need a devkit. You can get one from Nintendo if you pay really much $$$ and have a history of making successful games.

Maybe someones else knows a way via some third party tool, but i doubt it.

--GWDev

__ODIN__    479
You'd need an NDEV devkit, and Codewarrior for Revolution / Wii SDK; total cost for that's about 2K USD, and you need to be licensed from Nintendo (which is hard enough for experienced professional devcos to do).

The good news is that C/C++ is the language of choice, so learning that will only do good things for you. There's also a thriving homebrew community for the Nintendo DS (http://hive.ndshb.com/ is probably a good place to start).

Alternatively, the XNA system from MS would allow you to code for a console (XB360), using C#.

Good luck,

Allan

b0iNg123    101
thnx for ur replies....i'm not really gonna market this game....it's a college project...and for personal uses, with no commercial purposes intended....this being the case will i still have to pay for the Wii SDK....also when you say the homebrew SDK is unofficial...do you mean free for learning purposes...and does it use C++??

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Original post by b0iNg123
it's a college project...and for personal uses, with no commercial purposes intended....this being the case will i still have to pay for the Wii SDK
It's not that you'll have to pay for it (Which you will), it's that you won't be able to get a hold of it unless you're a registered developer with an established games company.

See Here

programmer88    168
Hi, basically the homebrew sdk can only be used to create games for wiis with the homebrew channel (only installable through hacks). To create an official game, nintendo require a large price for their SDK and a solid track history of making games. Your best bet is to create a PC gae that uses the wiimotes (connected via bluetooth). You say you want to use .net, this is only usable on a pc or xbox. to use .net and wiimotes, it has to be on PC, and you can use this .net library:

http://wiimotelib.codeplex.com/Wikipage

should be perfect for a college project.

Hodgman    51234
Quote:
Original post by b0iNg123
Some friends told me that I could use Flash. I know some AS 2.0
As everyone's already pointed out that you won't be able to make a Wii game using the official SDK, I should point out that your first option is kinda feasible.

The Wii has a browser, which supports flash. Hey-presto: back door into closed system!

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
As everyone's already pointed out that you won't be able to make a Wii game using the official SDK, I should point out that your first option is kinda feasible.

The Wii has a browser, which supports flash. Hey-presto: back door into closed system!

Wii's internet only supports like Flash 6 or something. But there shouldn't be to much reason why you couldn't make a Flash game using AS2 then play it through the internet channel. Not the samething as a full Wii game but it would allow you to "make" a Wii game without having to mod your Wii for homebrew.

If you are just wanting to do a console game and it doesn't have to be Wii then XNA/Xbox 360 would be a much better route all the way around.

__ODIN__    479
There're also Wiimote drivers for PC (it connects using bluetooth). You'll not get sensor-bar information without a lot of work, but buttons and accelerometer is pretty trivial in C++

Look at WiiYourself! for an example; we actually used that for our first prototype while waiting for our license and NDEV to arrive.

Allan