• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dude_se

OpenGL obj draw in opengl

This topic is 3031 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

sorry if theres some typos. Im posting off my phone. Basically i read through a obj loader post on here, but it doesnt really explain how to display it. Was looking for some newb tips. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Well you already have the model file loaded, that mean you have array or list of vertex positions, colors, uv coords, and maybe even an index buffer. That's half of the job done. For the other half, you have to initialize a opengl rendering context and use it's functions to send these vertex to the video card. Any opengl tutorial will tell you how, it's the most basic operation. Still need a bit of research.

Just look up functions like glBegin, glEnd, glIndex*, glVertex*, glNormal*, glGenLists, glCallList and learn how to use them.

Better still, unless you are targeting limited devices, do it properly and research the Vertex Buffer Object (VBO), and the programmable pipeline.

No offense meant but everything dunge suggested are now considered deprecated functionality going forward. So unless you have a good reason to, it is pointless wasting time and effort on them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!