max4 bone exports

Started by
6 comments, last by zygote_mm 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, when i export an animated bone, it comes out real weird: i have 100 frams im exporting. with 3 rotation keys, 0,50,100 when i step thru the exporting, everything looks like it goes fine, but when i view it in proedit, the bone animation rotates by 180 degrees each frame, altho, if you skip every other frame, it looks just fine : ) until you reach the beginning/end this is real easy to re-produce, just make a bone, say 2 links, and animate it. the outcome is not quite as expected. : ) any suggestions/comments please throw them my way. until then, ill try to figure out whats up with this myself (alto its not looking too pretty : ) thanks, Mike
Advertisement
Regular MAX bones aren''t a supported feature in PR. I''ve never used them before so expect weird results.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
ok that sounds feesable : )

when i export using bones to .3ds, the animation is perfect.

altho, when i export using marcos''s plugin, the animation is skrewed. marcos''s plugin used to work very good (very very good) but now (maybe after you got it to work in max4) it acts strange.

What i think the problem could be, is maybe a change in the .pro file format? or one of the calculations for parent/child rotation quaternions. I cannot be shure of this, for i know very little of the .pro file format.

Could you look into this? if not, its not going to kill me : )

PS: any more thoughts on DP3 Bump mapping for PR4?

Thanks,
Mike
Yeah MAX4 exporter sucks.
Half my MAX4 exports have jumbled geometry and keyframes.

Thanks in advance for helping!
Petrovski
Thanks in advance for helping!Petrovski
Agreed. I''ve gotten many screwed up results from the exporter as well.
Is it just me or do you all find that 3DS export from MAX4 to
PROEDIT loses texture coordinates or crashes if "Use Textures" is selected on Proedit load 3ds?

Thanks in advance for helping!
Petrovski
Thanks in advance for helping!Petrovski
petro: the importing of 3ds crashes pro edit when the texture file names are longer than 8 chars +.ext as for the garbageing of the files, i beleive we can nudge chris in the right direction and get him to fix it up : ) the old pro exporter that marcos hernandez origionally designed had most of these same problems, but was fixed thru time into a "perfect" exporter. I hope chris can do the same : )

thanks,
Mike
I cannot make the 3DS importer/exporter use long filenames. The .3DS file format itself doesn''t store anything longer because it was made for the old DOS based 3D Studio. MAX even warns you when you export to .3DS with long filenames.

When using .3DS I normally use all .JPG textures (since MAX can use them as well). Make sure they are 8.3 format, put them all in the same directory as the .3DS file and you''ll have no problems.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement