Sign in to follow this  
xiot

Couple of game design questions

xiot    100
Hello everyone! My first post here, kinda exciting! I have a few game design questions that some people may be able to help me out with. I am working on writing down my ideas for a game that has been stuck in my head, and I was wondering if some of you could help me with some graphics questions. The game I am flushing out would be a game similar to that of Zelda: A Link to the Past. 1. Would Zelda:Link to the Past be considered purely 2D graphics, or is it 2.5D? I am just wondering what the graphics would be classified as. 2. How was the animation and everything done for Zelda? I am fairly sure it is done using sprites and sprite sheets,but I am not for sure and thought that I would ask. If anyone can please answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it! Looking forward to being a part of this great community!

jpetrie    13099
A Link to the Past was a 2D game. It used sprites for graphics; beyond that (whether they were 'sheets' or something else) is generally an implementation detail you don't need to be terribly concerned from a (nontechnical) design standpoint.

Cosine    100
Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
A Link to the Past was a 2D game.

Yeah, but what about the Triforce coming together when the game's ROM is booted?
Check the technical data in it, and you'll see that it is a three-dimensional model. You can edit the points on one triangle, as it's just three instances of the same model.

So therefore, your statement is SEMI-contradicted.

Konidias    214
I think you're just nitpicking. =P Even if the triforce logo is 3D, the game is still 2D. The logo isn't really the game. It's just a logo.

To answer xiot's question...

The animation and everything was done using sprite sheets and tilesets. All pixel artwork. There are only so many poses for Link, if you notice there is a lot of reusing of frames for various animations.

There are complete tileset and spritesheet rips of this game floating about if you google I'm sure you could find them. (not to use, but to look at for understanding/learning)

xiot    100
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback! I have been working on the document, and even downloaded a tile editor to fiddle around with. Thanks again everyone!